Note to New Members ×

Icy Chairlift and Hard Boot

Jaynen

Having a little trouble finding the answer to this so I apologize if this has been answered somewhere else. I plan to try hard booting this year or next and I am wondering how getting on and off the chairlift is. Do you have a stomp pad? Is the boot really slippery on the board or does it have rubber or something on the bottom of the boot? I am concerned about getting on the chair because usually its very icy and hard to not fall in a soft snowboard boot. I am thinking a ski boot would be a nightmare? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

As a new comer to the sport as well I actually find the "one foot out" part much easier than soft boots. The boot stiffness restricts ankle movement such that putting you back foot on the board is almost not necessary. I played around on the flats at the bottom before attempting the lift line. Maybe try the same. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I definitely was.

Have fun!

I had an weird fall last night just coming off the lift (could happen the same in soft boots). My rear boot slipped off and in front of the board while sliding off the chair lift. I hit the ground hard and it feels like but hope I didn't crack a rib. I have a stomp pad but will be looking for a better one now. Thanks Oldsnowboards and great reply JKarve.

Peter V

Ouch sorry to hear that. I had a bad injury too coming off the lift in soft boots with a spike stomp pad. I ride regular and came off the lift with lots of speed and made a quick left turn. My foot that was free from the binding slipped backwards instead of forwards causing me to step on the ground and stop. But my board kept the momentum turning left and i fell forward on the ground. My leg got twisted 270 degrees. Ski patrol were such dicks kept telling me to stand up and get out of the way of the lift. I told them my leg was screwed and to just drag me out of the way but they wouldnt. Im very cautious about turning left every time now. Funny how you can be having a great time and bam out for 3 weeks.

There are some that poo hoo stomp pads, largely the young and strong.  I can tell you first hand that a good stomp pad can really make the difference between a great day and a not so great day.  Examples.  Fresh, sticky snow , step ins,  spike makes it fast and easy to clear the heel and step in safely.  Fast get away from the chair lift, not falling down. 

Coming off the chair with a 203cm race board with a plate (approx 19-20 lbs)  I want to step on something grabby , not a slick carbon fiber or high gloss top sheet to guide that rig off with one leg!!

Note:   I believe the alpine community brought back the "Spike" from obscurity.   About 7 or 8 years ago the Spike was on it's way out, I found them online and in store clearance.  Bought dozens of them ,  added them to many deals with friends and new riders to insure a good experience.    For a season or two I couldn't find any more, everyone was sold out.  Then a few years ago I started seeing them again.  Was it some carefully place recommendations? Was it the fact that ALLOT of alpine riders swear by them?   

I am afraid the most recent version of this great product is not solid like it once was.  This means if you have Fin Tecs with the super sharp traction base , you can shave off the tops of the tips pretty fast , but all in all it is hard to beat this handy little device. 

IMHO  Bryan 

post-158-0-51716300-1422469140_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-60634800-1422469149_thumb.jpg

I think the preference depends on the chairs you typically ride. The vast majority of riders at SES don't use stomp pads. Exiting a detachable chair at 2 mph onto a 3-degree slope isn't that difficult. Non-detachable chairs firing you onto an icy 20-degree off-loading ramp is pretty pucker-worthy for me.

Every one of my boards has a stomp pad on it. They don't hurt anything, and save my butt. Maybe some are concerned about the look? I already look like a retro freak to most people there anyway. ;)

I love the Dakine Spike pads when riding, but they scare me when I stack three boards in a Sportube and dump them into a plane. I visualize those spikes gnawing their way into the base of the board above.

The Dakine spike is the best invention ever. I have them on all my boards in the Iron Cross pattern, and they look ornamental and work pretty well. I run them mainly because I have step ins and as Bryan said, they're great for clearing sticky snow off heels, but they work great for lift traction as well. I often ride old, non detachable quad chairs with nasty exits, and I certainly appreciate my stomp pads when I do.