Note to New Members ×

unusual intec heel question

Mister Sandman

Hi to all

I have a chance to go to a carving clinic next week. It's a EC clinic and they are also going to be demoing equipment.

The bindings they have on the Swoards are F2's. 

My question is: as I have Head boots with intec step in heels, does anyone know if they can be used on the F2 bindings without the pins interfering or should I use their demo boots..? I really would prefer mine as I had them bootfitted because of my extra-wide feet... 

Thanks!

Mister Sandman

In the end it will be dependent on your specifics, however, that said I have done that on occasion without issue. 

Two side notes:  The Intec / Fintec heels are HARD, so you will have a slightly stiffer feel with them mounted in a standard bale bindings.

I recall in one instant the bale did pass near the pins, the pins just pushed in slightly,  I would just watch for this interference. 

You will still have a softer feel do to the bindings and them being standards if you are coming from Bomber or Catek bidnings. 

You did not include from what bindings you are coming from? 

• 3 weeks later...

The pure boarders and ec carvers ride without cant or lift, they leave their bail bindings extremely loose so they can get into the position required to put a board on edge, the race carvers use lift and cant to allow their bodies to attain the position required to put a board on edge.

Lots of loss of energy when the bindings are loose, lots of loss of energy when touching the ground.

Step ins are much stiffer then bail bindings, and they don't really behave well when extremely loose.

• Like 1

While the Swoard guys recommend running your binders flat, many pureboarders use quite a lot of cant, namely the Ibex/Speed bindings with the 7° cant wedge.

The PBers prefer bail bindings because they allow for more lateral flex, where intecs are very stiff. The lateral flex plays a more important role when you use wider boards, such as those preferred by the PB and EC guys.

I believe this was the reason the TD3 SW was originally only available in a bail version: The rigid intec interface seems to counteract the flex that is provided by the SW elastomeres.

I believe this was the reason the TD3 SW was originally only available in a bail version: The rigid intec interface seems to counteract the flex that is provided by the SW elastomeres.

No, I don't believe so,   the Standard came out first because it was the least difficult to develop with the most demand.  This is only my guess knowing some of the history.  Fin would be the only one to properly answer this question. 

This question is slightly veering from the topic, but Groomer can you say why Joerg prefers the bale bindings for the pure boarding technique? I'm interested to understand what the advantages are.

Thanks

FYI  "Groomer Grommet" is a category , not his ID.  Did you mean "Mr Sandman" ?? 

• 2 weeks later...

Update

I replaced step ins with bail bindings and what a difference it made! as per PB indications I kept the rear foot binding 1cm looser, and do not tighten too much the rear foot boot buckles and it really helped me improve! now I can say I am finally getting the hang of how carve is supposed to be done (although I still have a long way yo go!) 

next step is getting lower....

Update

I replaced step ins with bail bindings and what a difference it made! as per PB indications I kept the rear foot binding 1cm looser, and do not tighten too much the rear foot boot buckles and it really helped me improve! now I can say I am finally getting the hang of how carve is supposed to be done (although I still have a long way yo go!) 

next step is getting lower....

This is great news!! Glad you found some good tips and equipment to move your skills  ahead.  Good times ahead!!

PS. Don't focus too much on "Getting Low" , that will come with proper technique.   Enjoy!!

• 4 years later...
On 2/10/2015 at 4:42 AM, Aracan said:

Fin had some problems with getting a suitable fabricator for the Intec/Fintec SW heel units. I was sent a prototype to trial in the Southern Hemisphere winter. The steel was too soft and I bent the heel unit out of shape and had premature release on my first real run with them. Fin was horrified and very apologetic but no harm was done. Took quite a while to solve this.