Note to New Members ×

March 22-28

MacSkiddin

Hey folks,

Looks like I may have a week in AB in the last full week of March.  Any recommendations on where to go & what to bring?  I gather that there are a few options within a 4-hr drive of Edmonton.  Marmot Basin? Nakiska? Lake Louise?  I'm not keen on crowds, so I'm hoping it's not a school break week.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

School break in AB is that week for public schools.  Nakiska may just be a little crowded as everyone around bought a seasons pass, but it is the most popular place to carve (wide open, consistent pitch terrain).

Sunshine is more 'natural' terrain...funner for freeriding but you can find good carving runs.  Best snow IMHO.

Lousie is a fun place to carve, I find.  Snow not as nice.

Haven't been to Marmot in years so can't comment...

In the past few years our most wet months have been feb and march (in southern alberta)...I'm personally hoping we start getting some good dumps in feb...Dec and Jan have been pretty dry.

Nakiska will be crowded for sure on spring break. Sunshine and Louise might be better bets. Sunshine in particular is ridiculously good at absorbing crowds - once they get up the gondola they scatter in all directions, and the lift lines aren't too long even on busy days. If there's no fresh snow, the grooming there is surprisingly good. I always find Louise is tending to get melt/freeze and icy around late March, but it's going to depend on the conditions.

Marmot is a great hill, a little closer to Edmontonchuk than the others.  It's also not nearly as practical for daytrippers from Edmonton as the Banff hills are for Calgary, so hopefully less crowded.  I may be talking out of my ass, haven't been there in years.

Sunshine & Louise can be awesome in late March or complete spring conditions, you never know.  If you've never been you owe it to yourself to hit Louise for a day just for the jaw-dropping scenery.  I flove Louise but I realize I may be alone amongst carvers there.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm getting ready to book.  Last I heard (yesterday) from someone from Calgary was that Marmot was "ok" and Sunshine was "good".  No update on Louise.  I may just book the first couple of nights and play it by ear the rest of the week.

Thanks for the insights.
Dave

• Like 1

I hate to say it man, I drove out to the lake today prepared to ride and turned around and drove home. Did not look very inspiring.

They were up to plus 7 yesterday. Rained a bunch between Banff and LL on the drive up.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

That being said, maybe it's better up top or in the backside..... Did not look that inviting at the base

I'm amazed that most of the hills are still open. It was supposed to get up to +15 at Nakiska today, and I shouldn't imagine it was any better anywhere else. Sunshine might be the best bet, because of their elevation, but the pickings look pretty slim right now.

I booked three nights in Banff with Sunshine in mind for that reason. Also brought hiking boots and a camera. Got all the bases covered. Will just play it by ear, but likely to go to Marmot as well. Unfortunately, because of a blizzard on the east coast, I had to rebook on short notice and couldn't get any gear together. So I'll be renting and shifting softboot binders to something like 40/30. In EDM 'til Friday noon, then down to Banff. Fingers crossed for blizzards in the meantime.

Thanks, all, for your advice & help. Carvers are a great community wherever they are.

Dave

• Like 1

I was at Marmot Tuesday to Friday. Very good conditions and lots of room. It got well above freezing in the day but the snow held up.

I rode a chair with a serious softboot carver there (and mentioned Bomber and EC).

Edited by wantok

Sunshine got some snow yesterday, a couple of friends went and said it was great. Temps are supposed to be lower until at least tomorrow, so that's where I'd head if I had the choice.

One of the crossfit girls rode at Louise on Sunday and said it was awful. Marginal on the back and sheer ice on the front.

• 2 weeks later...