Note to New Members ×

Whitetail 2014-15

piusthedrcarve

Hi folks,

Whitetail and Liberty have turned on snow guns for last few days. The season will start soon.

As usual, I will go up on weekdays and will post up once I know when. Again, this year is to introduce snow sports for my kids. So will stay in SnowPark mostly. I'm thinking first weekend of December will be my opening runs..either WT or WISP.

Please use this tread to share your coming.

I look forward to make some turns with WT crews.

Edited by piusthedrcarve

• 4 weeks later...

12/13

Got there for first chair.  It was above 32 and started to melt on top layer and got faster and faster. All man-made snow.

Day time high went up to 42 degree and noticed some brown spots and grass on thin area.

Generally good condition for early season.  Due to opening only 6 trails, rideable trails were packed. 

I went with my son and followed him whole time. As he progressed, we rode on blue (angle drop and jib junction). There were no park features on Jib Junction, which was ideal for carving... but still too many people.  Met a hardbooter (Jason) and a dude with Kessler Ride. 

* Dave, where are you?  I need few pointers.  Had more than few wipeouts/roll that resulted few bruises and body aches.  

1/22

Still same number of trails are opened.  oh.. Fanciful was added but very thin. 

Snow condition was very good.  Hard pack but not too hard.  I got there 8:30 but most of first parking lot (one down below of Entrance) were already full.  I thought it is going to be zoo around 10 but crowd were pretty much same. (I think it's due to rain forecast afternoon). I kinda of like few park features built on Sidewinder.  That splits good amount of people between SnowPark & Sidewinder. I taught my 5 years old on SnowPark mostly and she is making good progress.  She still don't like to turn her back toward fall line yet. We left around 1:30 and few drop of rain were falling. Then.. you know, whole afternoon and evening, we got a lot of rain.  With few warm days ahead, Whitetail will not be in condition to enjoy riding. IMO. 

ThatSN2perGuy, Finally!  I will try to be there on 29th but I don't know at this point. But I may go down Wintergreen for few days this season.  When I do, I will post up here. BTW, there is another BOLer from Richmond who started last year.  You guys should get together to come up. 

Will be going up again on 31st. 

I know it's going to be packed but almost 10 days with kid inside of house is making me crazy.

Luckly, WT started to make snow from last night. It will still be limited number of trails but will try and report it back. 

Solo riding starts from 1/5.

Edited by piusthedrcarve

12/31

As expected, it was crowded. Left top half of SnowPark were set for kids race.  And of course, right top half (under the lift) was not covered yet.  Angel Drop and Jib Junction were nice till 10 but got too bumpy to enjoy my skinny deck after. Snow guns were operated the whole time while I was there. (9-4).  Had few business calls so my times on slopes were limited.  I saw few tight trenches under SnowPark but had not seen any hardbooter. 

I am about to sign up my kid to WT's midweek ski jr. program (Thursday 5-8 p.m.), If then, I will be up there for every Thursday till mid February, starting from coming Thursday.

So, my next one will be 1/8.  Hope to see hardbooter

12/13

* Dave, where are you?  I need few pointers.  Had more than few wipeouts/roll that resulted few bruises and body aches.  

Hi Pius - a few pointers?  from me?   I'll teach you how to end up at the Orthopaedist or Physio Therapist, no problem !!!

I have not been anywhere locally, yet.  I got  6 awesome days at Copper during Christmas week with my wife and kids.  I've been laying low since - maybe if it sets up (weather and schedule) favorably, I'll see you Thursday.  If you change your plans, post up here and let me know.  I'll keep an eye out.

Also,  I just ordered a Donek Hazelwood 200 - the Tanker got a crack in the laminate, on the nose,  from a heavy landing/stuffing on a big powder day.   I love the Tankers but thought I'd try something a little burlier.  Should be interesting.   Been awhile since I got a new board.

Talk to you later, Dave Kemp

Hi Pius - a few pointers?  from me?   I'll teach you how to end up at the Orthopaedist or Physio Therapist, no problem !!!

I have not been anywhere locally, yet.  I got  6 awesome days at Copper during Christmas week with my wife and kids.  I've been laying low since - maybe if it sets up (weather and schedule) favorably, I'll see you Thursday.  If you change your plans, post up here and let me know.  I'll keep an eye out.

Also,  I just ordered a Donek Hazelwood 200 - the Tanker got a crack in the laminate, on the nose,  from a heavy landing/stuffing on a big powder day.   I love the Tankers but thought I'd try something a little burlier.  Should be interesting.   Been awhile since I got a new board.

Talk to you later, Dave Kemp

I will confirm if I will be up there on Thursday evening.  Good to hear you had time on slopes.  

As you read this thread, I have ridden but I haven't really ridden yet until I get on Farside or Exhibition.  And with kids all the times didn't help neither. 

Since Goro and Andrew are busy with their newborns, regular WT crews are really down.  Let's get together and make some trenches this season.

Dave,

The kids' ski program got cancelled due to coldness. I am disappointed to miss another chance to ride but understand why they did it.  I also don't want my kid on slopes when it is in single digit temperature with possible 30mph gust wind.  If Loudoun county cancels schools tomorrow, I will be there around 9. If not, well.. next Thursday night.

I decided to go up tomorrow (1/10, Saturday).   I know it's going to be zoo after a good whole week of temp of teens or below.  But I got a new stick and need to test newly set stance. Also, another BOL member (Mujika2) from Richmond will be there to learn/ride.  We will be riding mostly SnowPark and Farside.  Hope to see hardbooters tomorrow.

01/10

Got there EARLY like 8:00 am, expecting first row of parking.   There were already first parking full and I had to park underneath 'Fallmount' trail! 

Lift lines were already started and it became a zoo around 10.  Spent at least 15 min. every line after that.  It was the most crowded day for this season so far. 

Only groomed bunny hills, Snowpark, and maybe limelight. All of other trails were lightly groomed (or made flat) so that the man-made snow to be packed-powder like.  Around 11, most of blue trails were tracked out and started to form small mogul. I brought a narrow width carving specific stiff board and had hard time on those trails.  Finally, they opened my favorite Farside but also not properly groomed. The top half was still good to lay good turns but bottom half became mogul run after noon.  On groomed slopes, the condition was as good as it can be, grippy packed powder. Personally, I don't like the condition.  I prefer very hard packed or well groomed slopes at slight above freezing temperature so that I can go faster.  

Mugika2 showed up and rode together for few runs.  My 7 yrs old son is now a Jibber.  He spent few hours at Jib Junction and was able to slide on curved boxes at end of the day.  I saw 2 hardbooters on SnowPark in the morning but couldn't catch them to say hi.  

Left around 4:30 and saw 3 separate incidents at last 30 minutes and they all were   All, be careful, especially on weekend.

Edited by piusthedrcarve

Hi Pius - I was there (WT) last Thursday and it was great.  Cold, no wind, no lines, good snow.   When I left at 1:30 to go home and get my kid, I found a $ 20 bill in the parking lot.  Good day, for sure.  Hope to see you soon.

Cool.

I will be there tomorrow night.  WT's Nitetrailers (Kids lesson program) starts tomorrow, supposed to run from 5 to 8. for next 5 weeks.  

Since I haven't ridden at night for so long, I don't know what to expect. 

Just came back from WT.   Rode from 5:30 to 9 pm.  This was first time riding at night.

It was 34'F at 5 and dropped to 27'F at 9.  Fast. I liked it. It was hard packed snow with thin layer of Ice underneath.  Hip/Knee touching hard turns made deep trenches. 

KMC (Kids Mountain Camp) had about +120 kids that were grouped and scattered out mostly SnowPark, Sidewinder, and bunny hills.  I rode probably +12 runs on SnowPark and 5-6 runs on Limelight, Homerun, and Jib Junction within 3 and 1/2 hours.  That tells you how light crowd was.  Now, I really like riding at night.  Oh.. Upper part of SnowPark and Upper Angel Drop need lights.  Kinda too dark to see.  I saw few people wearing bike flashing lights.  Smart.  I need to wear few next time. 

I will be up there next Thursday night. 

I was there today.  Snow was garbage.  Dirty, a little granular and sticky at times.  Not too many people, though.  

1/22

You got that right about garbage and granular.  When I got there, It was like pebble sand.  Around 8-ish. Trails were in ok condition but most of base areas and on top of the chair became very icy. At 9, temp. went below freezing point and the whole garbage became chunk of ice and made the condition worse (Very bumpy, if rode on base).

I rode a short titanial decambered board for last night. It did help me to enjoy the condition.  Frozen bumpy surface were easily sliced and got good edge holds. The decambered made easy and fast to initiate turns than high cambered boards.  I was thinking to wind down my quiver to just have few boards that I ride most but now I may keep them. 

Dave, hope to see you next week.

Edited by piusthedrcarve

01/29

Rode 4 hours this evening.  I may say it was the best condition of this season so far.

When I was driving up around 4 pm, it started to snow where ... the uphill with a rest area is at...  between Hagerstown & Frederick on I-70.  Snow wasn't pushed around much when I got there. 1" of new snow made chalky on top of hard pack. There were 2-3 snow showers during my 4 hours and temp. dropped to 26'F and started to get faster.  I started with Osin 3800 and was very impressed by its carve-ability. It will definitely shine on deeper than today's snow due to long nose.  Then I switched to modern SL deck when it got little bumpy and fast and LOVED it. 

Today, my 5 years old daughter slid down blue trails. She was able to make both side turn comfortably on green trails but not on blue yet. 

There is a forecast of snow storm over Sunday night thru Monday.  I can't wait to ride next Thursday night. 

Again,

Coming up tonight.  This time with se7evn.  

It's going to be windy but will be empty as usual. gotta pack and leave now.

I'll have to join you guys one of these days. Any of you up for night runs at whitetail next week? mon, tue, or wed? I would love to receive some input from carving veterans and my new setup. 

I'll have to join you guys one of these days. Any of you up for night runs at whitetail next week? mon, tue, or wed? I would love to receive some input from carving veterans and my new setup. 

um.. .don't know sure yet but maybe next week Thursday I may.   As forecasted, if we get 7-8" snow on Tuesday, most definitely.   Otherwise, go any weekend early in the morning.  You will find at least one or two carvers. 

12/12

Once again, it was brutal.  Felt like below zero with gusting winds.  Lifts were stopped for few times due to the gusts.  Slopes were basically turned to ice from 6 pm since we haven't had any new snow nor man-made snow for last few days.  Somehow, I noticed there are few rollers appeared on bottom of Snow Park, which were not easily seen from above.  Upper Angel Drop & Home Run were not too icy.  Didn't get to ride Farside last night. 

It was first day of this season for se7en and took less than 5 runs to get back where he left.  

Edited by piusthedrcarve