Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2014/15

BlueB

Sat Jan 17

Similar conditions to yesterday but more overcast and more crowd later in the day. Visibility was good through the morning. It snowed a bit at about 10 am, rained lightly after, then turned to sleet after lunch. We were already on the way home...

Crew: Roy, Sasha, Luka, Boris, Yoshi and family. We spotted Perry with kid, too.

Boards: Nideckers, 4WD, OES SL.

Luka is incredibly fast on skis now, but doesn't believe in excessive turning :) Ouch, a carver's son to be a bomber?

Edited by BlueB

Tue Jan 20 

Sasha and me made it to the hill at about 10:15am. Snow was still surprisingly good. Mix of sun and cloud. Not many people. 

Later we met Randy and Lanny on skis, did few runs with them. Randy is still a rocketship and impossible to keep up. 

By lunchtime there was a generous loose layer on top of the hard stuff under. Lots of loose rocks showed through... 

Toys: Nidecker and OES 178. 

We might hit it again tomorrow morning... 

Edited by BlueB

Sat Jan 17

Similar conditions to yesterday but more overcast and more crowd later in the day. Visibility was good through the morning. It snowed a bit at about 10 am, rained lightly after, then turned to sleet after lunch. We were already on the way home...

Crew: Roy, Sasha, Luka, Boris, Yoshi and family. We spotted Perry with kid, too.

Boards: Nideckers, 4WD, OES SL.

Luka is incredibly fast on skis now, but doesn't believe in excessive turning :) Ouch, a carver's son to be a bomber?

Maya does the same on skis and on a snowboard- I guess it's just the unintended consequence of following your carving parent around on the hill....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey got some time off next week and 2 free tix to use at WB  .  Looks like you guys will get some snow this week but borderline freezing temps (like oregon) .  What is the best place to get info on WB conditions ?  Is it as bad as we have down here ? Sorry to post in the wrong thread?

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I would pass on Whistler for this season- the whole Lower Mainland has been a relative bust for snow- first time this has happened to me in 30 years of riding here.

The only ski hills that have their regular complement of snow are the hills north of Prince George- Shames in Terrace, Powder King, and MacKenzie.

Hey Johnny, perhaps you are not going to find Aspen condition but you will be able to find enough snow to have fun. Go to Sprinboard or Blue Line in Blackcomb, usually the snow at the end of Blue Line is one of the best you can find even in the worst condition.I went last week and was able to link some carved lines, try Green Line from the top of Seven Heaven to the bottom of the Nitendo Park and take the Catskiner chair up, snow stay carveable until 1-2, depending of how busy is the day. This green line is a good plan B when the grooms are gone in Springboard. If you really like to carve in your snowboard you will be able to have fun even when condition aren't the best. Enjoy. F

Edited by Chep

Wednesday March 04

Superb job by Cypress snow making crew allowed us to have fun after the meltdown of last few weeks! Easy Rider, Fork and JJA were open. Hero snow in the morning, dense packed man made pow. It detorriated a bit by noon but was still carvable. We saw fed familiar faces.

Crew: Sasha and Boris

Toys: Nidecker Proto and OES SL

Rinse and repeat tomorrow :)

Edited by BlueB

Thu Mar 05

Today we had less people on the hill...

Morning snow was a bit less blissfull then yesterday but held better in the early pm.

Crew: Sasha, me and Rod. However we ran into Mark, Niles and Alex W.

Toys: Proto, OES SL, SG BX...

Edited by BlueB

March 9

Empty hill, ok snow. Rocks here and there...

Sasa, Luka, Boris

Nidecker, skis, OES SL

We used empty slope to run our own BX skier vs boarder. Luka is doing great but I have mass advantage over flatter parts :)

• 2 weeks later...