Note to New Members ×

2014 - 2015 here we come! Planning ...

Tabatha

Where do you want to ride this winter - your top pick for night passes  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you want to ride this winter - your top pick for night passes

• Vorlage (will be empty)
    • Cascade (cheapest + includes day passes in price)
    • Edelweiss (somewhere new)

Hello Ottawa!

The weather is cold with frost warnings already so it is the perfect time to be thinking about buying lift tickets. I have agreed to try and organize the ski pass this year - Cascade gang-up on the mountain! We need ten people to get the $89.00 (plus taxes deal) http://www.montcascades.ca

This year we will can still get together on a selected night to slide, but we will not really have organized workshops as Ian (our fearless leader) has other priorities … although I am sure whenever we see him out he will continue to give us advice.

Let me know if you are interested and I will let you know how much and what information I need from you to make it so.

I am aiming to buy the tickets at the end of October (unless we do not have ten passes, in which case, I am going to hold out for ten so we can get the extra-sweet deal).

Think snow!

So excited to ride!

Hello Ottawa!

The weather is cold with frost warnings already so it is the perfect time to be thinking about buying lift tickets. I have agreed to try and organize the ski pass this year - Cascade gang-up on the mountain! We need ten people to get the $89.00 (plus taxes deal) http://www.montcascades.ca

This year we will can still get together on a selected night to slide, but we will not really have organized workshops as Ian (our fearless leader) has other priorities … although I am sure whenever we see him out he will continue to give us advice.

Let me know if you are interested and I will let you know how much and what information I need from you to make it so.

I am aiming to buy the tickets at the end of October (unless we do not have ten passes, in which case, I am going to hold out for ten so we can get the extra-sweet deal).

Think snow!

I'm also half thinking Edelweiss as some new "regular" turf this year. Now that they've flattened the Zoomer kicker you don't have to carry as much speed and can have a nice 10 turn sesh (right at the top) before hitting the final pitch after the flat. Easy Street can also get fun and playful. $100 night season pass and only about 10 more minute drive plus there's a chance to meet up with the other carving crew there. I've also heard there might have been talk of going back to Vorlage. Any thoughts?

Edited by Hilux
  • Like 1

I have no problems exploring other options if there is a consensus - the tickets are not as cheap, but we can get them until December 1st and individually at Edelweiss. Will start a poll and see where people want to go ...

Personally, I like Cascade because their night pass is also good Monday - Friday daylight hours! I can get something similar at Edelweiss, but for an extra $100! But that is just me and I have days off so it works.

I love fall... you know why, right? 'Cause it leads to winter :D

While it's true that I'll have other priorities later in the season (a baby mid-Feb!), I'm already getting my stoke on about being back out on snow. For a resort choice this year, I'm pretty flexible. I would enjoy the day-time pass at Cascades on my Mondays off, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. Vorlage, Cascades, and Edelweiss are all good options, and riding with friends is the bestest part :D.

Thanks to Tabby for leading the conversation.

Cheers!

My vote goes to Cascades as well. I'll be buying two passes there whether or not the group decides to, so I suppose add two if you're working up total numbers for Cascades, but not for other hills.

I had a pass for Edelweiss the season prior to the upgrades on the snow machines and the park, it was great. However, I bought one again after they implemented said changes, and it turned into such an overcrowded mess that I ended up getting a Cascades pass and not using the Edelweiss pass after only going there three times.

Cascades' late hours on Fridays are also very convenient for me. Taking a day off to ride empty runs is fantastic too. I always have a few odd days/nights out with friends at other local hills, but I find them all to be much busier than Cascades (aside from Vorlage, which I am not overly fond of).

Hi Folks! I voted for Cascades, mostly because of the daytime riding option that I can use because I'm off Mondays :) If the majority swings another way, I'll happily join the group elsewhere. Pass decision aside, let's ride lots of different places this year in addition to our pass!

Cheers :D

I love fall... you know why, right? 'Cause it leads to winter :D

While it's true that I'll have other priorities later in the season (a baby mid-Feb!), I'm already getting my stoke on about being back out on snow. For a resort choice this year, I'm pretty flexible. I would enjoy the day-time pass at Cascades on my Mondays off, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. Vorlage, Cascades, and Edelweiss are all good options, and riding with friends is the bestest part :D.

Thanks to Tabby for leading the conversation.

Cheers!

WOW Congrats on the impending baby Ian!

// voted for Cascade, but don't really care. Boarding takes priority, any hill, any time!

Hmmm I see where this is going :rolleyes: I'm still leaning towards Edelweiss but remain undecided as I'd like to ride with y'all. I still might go for it (Edelweiss) and just pay-as-I-go the nights I can make it out to Cascades. Mr. Soze, what time of year were you riding at Edel when it was bad? The times I've gone in Feb/Mar I found there to be very little in the way of crowds compared to weeknight Cascades throughout the season...I very well could have hit it on the off nights and lucked out. I like that they also seem to get the park up and running wayyyy sooner than Cascades = no park rats on carving runs. Not trying to sell anybody, just trying to rationalize getting a pass there and don't want to regret it.

Edited by Hilux
tiny words

// voted for Cascade, but don't really care. Boarding takes priority, any hill, any time!

That is a great attitude that I'm trying to adopt in making this "tough" decision. Cripes, here I am humming and hawing with this "issue" of what hill to chose. Are we ever lucky in this region to even have the option of all these places. First world problems eh. I'm still torn :D

P.S you guys are awesome:D

Mr. Soze, what time of year were you riding at Edel when it was bad? The times I've gone in Feb/Mar I found there to be very little in the way of crowds compared to weeknight Cascades throughout the season...I very well could have hit it on the off nights and lucked out. I like that they also seem to get the park up and running wayyyy sooner than Cascades = no park rats on carving runs.

This was right at the beginning of the season, so there may have been some additional traffic due to excitement about the new stuff.

Thanks for the congratulations, Ben and Jay! It will be an interesting ride, I'm sure :D

Just a heads-up that I've posted a couple items for sale, and would give priority to local folk if any of you are interested. Check 'em out!

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?43000-Standard-TD3-swap-for-Standard-F2-Ti

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?43001-Sims-Carve-2-w-Lifted-Snopros

And, a well-used padded board case that is free to a good home. It has two snap-in boot bags inside, and is showing a bit of wear. One end of the case has an outside seam that's coming apart, marked in the pic (look for the red circle, right end). It fits two boards up to 185cm with bindings on and two pairs of boots all at the same time. If anyone thinks they'd use it, you're welcome to it, gratuit.

post-4057-14184241861_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

Ian :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm I see where this is going :rolleyes: I'm still leaning towards Edelweiss but remain undecided as I'd like to ride with y'all. I still might go for it (Edelweiss) and just pay-as-I-go the nights I can make it out to Cascades. Mr. Soze, what time of year were you riding at Edel when it was bad? The times I've gone in Feb/Mar I found there to be very little in the way of crowds compared to weeknight Cascades throughout the season...I very well could have hit it on the off nights and lucked out. I like that they also seem to get the park up and running wayyyy sooner than Cascades = no park rats on carving runs. Not trying to sell anybody, just trying to rationalize getting a pass there and don't want to regret it.

Did you make a decison?

I would consider Edelweiss too.

I am going to pay as you go at Cascades for Tuesdays...I was not a big fan and would pick Vorlage over Cascades.

I found Cascades limited in what we carved on a regular basis:

-the steep side was almost always set for gates, sometimes two courses. The ruts combined with the night lighting made it tough riding after the gates were torn down.

-the middle (connecting face) has a deadly slow lift and poor night lighting. The last 100m are flat/uphill

-which leaves 2 runs on the main face. The main run with the corner and flat spot under the lift, and the steeper run to the right. The right side run is nice but that's about it IMHO.

I am considering Pakenham night pass too....

Mike or Ben: are you guys riding there as heavy as previous years?

BRING ON THE SNOW!!

Did you make a decison?

I would consider Edelweiss too.

I am going to pay as you go at Cascades for Tuesdays...I was not a big fan and would pick Vorlage over Cascades.

I found Cascades limited in what we carved on a regular basis:

-the steep side was almost always set for gates, sometimes two courses. The ruts combined with the night lighting made it tough riding after the gates were torn down.

-the middle (connecting face) has a deadly slow lift and poor night lighting. The last 100m are flat/uphill

-which leaves 2 runs on the main face. The main run with the corner and flat spot under the lift, and the steeper run to the right. The right side run is nice but that's about it IMHO.

BRING ON THE SNOW!!

No decision yet but I'm feeling the same way about Cascades. I had only 1 night last year towards the end of the season where there were no gates on the "surprise chair" side (steeps) and it was okay but Zoomer is fun (especially upper) despite the stupid flat section in the middle of the whole mountain at Edel. Maybe I'll just settle on Fortune and sharpen up my ice carving skills :freak3:

Yeah snow!

Pakenham night pass seems relatively expensive at $180 early bird, looks like now back to regular price of $215? (from Oct. 10th).

I've not ridden there but would be interested in trying. They do have corporate rates for nights at $18/person with mininum 10 people. Perhaps we could arrange a night for a group of 10 or more there one evening?

Otherwise, I'm leaning towards Cascade - recognizing it does have it's limitations...

Yeah, I'm pretty fond of the main face at Cascades, but more so of the lack of traffic, the included weekday riding, and convenient (for me) late-night Friday hours (assuming they're going to do that again).

I'm good for two passes (definitely) on the deal at Cascades, and I have two friends who are interested as well.

Sorry for the radio silence ... for some reason Bomber stopped sending me notifications and then "work" really got the better of me. The poll suggested Cascade, even though the discussion thread is saying other stuff. So I am going out on a limb and saying Cascade for the first group lift-pass. If someone wants to organize another hill, they are more than welcome ;)

I will be sending a follow-up e-mail to everyone. If you were not on my original e-mail and want in, please send me a direct message with your address and I will include you.

Ian, I'll take the bag if it's still available

Hi Johnny, the bag has been spoken for, but I hadn't posted yet. It's a pain in the butt not getting notifications!

Did you recover well from that concussion you had last season? I hope you're ready and able to ride this year :)

Tabby, I'm still undecided for pass so take me off the Cascades list for now please. I had thought about Vorlage again but forgot they're not open Sunday night (Edel/Cascades open till 9) Leaning towards Edelweiss for something different.

Hi Johnny, the bag has been spoken for, but I hadn't posted yet. It's a pain in the butt not getting notifications!

Did you recover well from that concussion you had last season? I hope you're ready and able to ride this year :)

I'm counting down the days! I'm not sure I'll be able to ride any weekdays/nights, and I'll be at Tremblant most weekends, and I also picked up some ski boots for this season.

I saw at the ski show that you can get books of tickets that will work at most places around here, something from the gatineau ski patrol? I'll try to post the link tomorrow. I think there's a 20 ticket book for $500 and a 10 ticket book for $275.

Ski Pass 2014-2015

[h=2]Supporting your local patrol![/h] Do you ski a lot?

Like to try out different areas?

Need great gifts for family or friends?

Looking for a way to thank employees and clients?

[h=2]Then you'll LOVE... The Ski Pass[/h] Buying this pass means you are contributing directly to the purchase and maintenance of life saving equipment lWe have partnered with local ski areas to offer the Ski Pass and all funds raised go to support the Canadian Ski Patrol in the Ottawa-Gatineau region. Our volunteer based organisation is dedicated to promoting safe skiing and boarding and providing premier first aid services to skiers and boarders in need. Buy this pass and you are contributing directly to the purchase and maintenance of life saving equipment like defibrillators and backboards in your local ski area and at summer events like BluesFest and the National Capital Marathon.

The Ski Pass is fully transferable and is available in two formats:

• A fully transferable season's pass $500

OR

• A booklet of 20 1-day lift tickets ($500 = $25 a ticket !!!)
  • A booklet of 10 1-day lift tickets ($275 = $27.50 a ticket !!!)

[h=2]Where can you ski with The Ski Pass?[/h] Mont Cascades - Mont Chilly - Edelweiss Valley - Camp Fortune - Mount Pakenham - <cite title="Only the 1-day tickets may be redeemed at Mont Ste. Marie">Mont Ste Marie**</cite> - Ski Vorlage

**Only the 1-day tickets may be redeemed at Mont Ste. Marie

<small>Waiver Text

I would like to subscribe to The Ski Pass program of the CSP Gatineau Zone for the 2014 - 2015 ski season. I understand that “The Ski Pass” will entitle the bearer to one day or night lift ticket when presented at the ticket office of any of the ski areas listed on the pass. The fully transferable season pass may only be used once per calendar day during the 2014 - 2015 ski season and may not be used at Mont St. Marie. A ticket from the Ski Pass booklet may be used only once during the season. The Ski Pass is fully transferable but may not be resold either for part or all of the season. Any fraudulent use or misrepresentation of the pass will be cause for cancellation of privileges, at the discretion of the Ski Area and/or CSP Gatineau Zone.</small>