Note to New Members ×

Short video

patmoore

I was only able to attend on Friday but I enjoyed the most epic carving conditions in my experience. I had hoped to do some more video but I had a freak accident. I was laying down a nice toeside turn when my world went upside down. Someone thought I had hit something left by the groomers but I can't recall what triggered it. I flipped over the board and the edge caught so violently that it ripped my boot out of the binding. When I stood on my left foot I realized I had broken it. X-rays revealed a broken tibia and fibula. Nothing displaced but I'll find out Tuesday if I need surgery to prevent separation. My season is over.

While the day lasted it was nice to hook up with some of the best riders anywhere. I learned a lot from Professor Beckmann and I'll try to remember it to put into practice next season.

I had hoped to have more and better footage to share with you but my day ended sooner than anticipated. Maximize the video screen to get the best viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyZjv3Hf428

Pat,

You looked kind-of stately and in charge in that sled, with all the footmen waiting on you. I'm thinking maybe you should pick one up.:rolleyes:;)

Hope you heal well and fast. Looking forward to the next run with you!

-Mark

So sorry to hear that Pat, all the best on your recovery. I did a run with you guys Friday and went up the gondola with you. ( I guess before your unfortunate accident).

A similar unfortunate accident happened to my brother Gilbert, Wednesday on his third run at ECES, on Standard near the top steep part. The trail was narrowed by race poles on the right and moguls on the left. In his turn he was surprised by the moguls that he didn't see. end for end and his season is done too. Broken and displaced fibula, requiring surgery and hardware.

he too is looking forward to next year, changing equipment and trying the Pure Boarding style.

Looking forward to seeing you both back at it.

Peter V

I'll jump in here too as I fractured the medial malleolus on my rear foot at the end of my second day (Thursday afternoon), on Standard, on an easy toeside turn. For some unknown reason, the board washed out. I was sliding on my belly looking uphill and I didn't react fast enough. The board hit the ground and that was it. I knew it was broken because it felt exactly like the last time I broke this same ankle, on my fifth run at the 2010 ECES. Not as painful four years ago. I was able to ride down the hill and walk to the clinic. I'm getting a few screws installed on Friday as this is the second fracture in that area and want to make sure that joint is stable for future turns.

I had a blast for the two days. I enjoyed the clinics (thanks Ian and Eric Beckman). Also enjoyed the demos. Sorry I missed out on Friday and Saturday but there's always next season.

Tony M

Wow! I wouldn't have thought that "in-boot" injuries would be that common.

2000+ parachute jumps and the only injuries I ever incurred were a torn ACL and three sprained ankles.

Fast forward a bunch of years........ Since I got into ski racing I've had a broken foot (not the one I just did) another torn ACL, broken ribs, and a broken hand necessitating three pins. The last injury was a result of a UPD (UnPlanned Dismount) from one of my unicycles.

Until Friday's fracture I had never had a snowboarding injury. I take a prescription dose of Vitamin D once a week but I have to suspect that at age 67 the bones aren't quite as strong as when I was competitive gymnast.

I see the Ortho in an hour to see if I need surgery.

I'm also surprised by the in-boot injuries. I hurt my ankle when I first started snowboarding, but that was in Sorrel hunting boots and strap bindings. I've observed that most snowboarding injuries are upper body, such as shoulders/collarbones and wrists.

I was wondering if the hard boot helped or hurt in my situation(s). Haven't been thrilled with the fit of my Deeluxe boots for a while. I've been riding them pretty loose lately. Anyway, since it seems that my current boots are jinxed, I'm thinking about trying UPZs.