Note to New Members ×

ECES Clinics

AlexJ

Ian MacKenzie has graciously offered to give carving clinics again at this years ECES.

He will be offering clinics on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday starting at 10:30 AM each day.

Meeting place will be at the demo tent in the main base area.

Ian will add more information to this thread when he is ready. anyone interested in the clinics should respond to this thread to help him plan for each day.

Space will be limited and will be on a first come first serve basis.

Peter - Ian lives in Ottawa, so drop him a line and get hooked up before ECES. I think we are riding Cascade on Tuesday (starting next week) so come play before the big event and meet some of us. I think Ottawa might be the best represented area at this years session.

Peter - Ian lives in Ottawa, so drop him a line and get hooked up before ECES. I think we are riding Cascade on Tuesday (starting next week) so come play before the big event and meet some of us. I think Ottawa might be the best represented area at this years session.

Yes I'm hoping to go on some Tuesday's and My brother may come too, Gilbert's Technic is way better than mine. We are both thrilled that there are other carvers out there, we were beginning to wonder if we were the last. We are also looking forward to ECES, I just need to see how work is before I book.

Thanks

Peter V

Yes I'm hoping to go on some Tuesday's and My brother may come too, Gilbert's Technic is way better than mine. We are both thrilled that there are other carvers out there, we were beginning to wonder if we were the last. We are also looking forward to ECES, I just need to see how work is before I book.

Good stuff Peter! We hope to see you and Gilbert out at Cascades on Tuesdays. Your carving family is looking forward to meeting you :)

Hello everyone! Thank you Alex, for starting this thread. I'm stoked about offering these clinics again, and sharing my passion for carving with y'all :D.

Helping to organize the clinics last time taught me a lot; I tried to sort riders by ability level to have more focused sessions, but organizing carvers is like herding cats :p. Many riders changed plans the day of based on snow conditions, and that makes perfect sense. So, this year let's just go free-form, and see who shows up, when. If a really huge group happens on one day, I'll probably ask if some people will return the next day instead, or split into two shorter sessions to make our sharing more effective. Let's plan on each clinic running for 1.5h, but if we get on a roll I won't necessarily stop at noon. Bring a snack if you get distracted easily by hunger!

In each session, I'll ask about what you folk would like help with, and we'll explore together from there! Keep in mind that the sessions will start at a pace that is suitable for everyone, and then I'll dial it up as we go... aiming to challenge each person. If you have suggestions about the clinics, or things you'd really like help with, post them here! A few directions that we could explore together are:

• Carving technique and gear from basic to advanced, different riding styles
  • Inspired carving, focusing on enjoyment, expression, and playfulness!
  • Spiritual carving, achieving awesome experiences and performance with higher aspects of yourself :O

If you're interested in the high-performance mental/spiritual aspects of carving, check out last season's Carving magazine for an article called "Performance Headspaces 101", and start playing with some of those concepts :cool:.

Happy carving to all, and I look forward to seeing you soon!

Cheers :D

This is my second season in hardbooting and it will be my first time at ECES. I can't wait to be there and learn!! I think it will be fun :p

*Like* Between the great mountain, organizers, and riders, it's crazy easy to have fun! Congrats on signing up for your first ECES, just from coming out to play I think you'll find that your riding makes great steps :biggthump.

• 3 weeks later...

Great news, everyone... Dan Lambert is also interested in offering clinics based on Joerg's PureBoarding style! Dan is a great rider and teacher, and represents the PureBoarding style very well.

I'll leave it to Dan to fill in the details such as days, times, etc, so stay tuned :D

Pureboarding Clinic

For those interested in learning more about the Pureboarding style (check out Pureboarding.com), I will be giving a clinic on Wed at 10:30 - the same time as Ian's second clinic (Ian agrees).

Over the past 25 years, Joerg Egli (sorry he cannot attend this year), has developed a technique and equipment which makes carving easy to learn and yet offers high performance on all kinds of terrain (steeps, ice, moguls, powder, glades, etc..and groomed).

If some of you want to attend Ian's Wed. clinic but would also like to take the Pureboarding clinic, just let me know and we can organise an additional clinic - maybe Wed. at 1:30.

I will bring along a few Pureboarding demo boards for those interested.

See you soon, Dan Lambert (Montreal)

• 2 weeks later...

MORE great news, everyone - another experienced teacher has expressed interest in offering clinics at this year's ECES! Eric Beckman is an experienced instructor from Sugarloaf, and I've heard great things about his riding and teaching. I'll let Eric fill in the details about his style and clinic offering.

Thanks very much Eric :D

I'm a perpetual struggling intermediate, so it would be great if I could learn something to get me to the next level. I can carve okay on gentle to moderate terrain, but when it gets steeper I have a hard time controlling my speed. And lately, for some reason, I've really been struggling with transitioning from edge to edge (turn initiation).

Brad

MORE great news, everyone - another experienced teacher has expressed interest in offering clinics at this year's ECES! Eric Beckman is an experienced instructor from Sugarloaf, and I've heard great things about his riding and teaching. I'll let Eric fill in the details about his style and clinic offering.

Thanks Ian. Here goes...

This is season 24 of instructing (snowboard, alpine and telemark ski, XC skate). My interests lie in the mechanical principles involved in moving over snow, how those principles govern our movement options, and how each component in the athlete/equipment system affects the outcome.

I have been working with feet and boots for fun and profit since 1997.

I am not a big fan of interminable tasks and drills.

Rather, I prefer to determine what part of the system is immediately limiting an athlete in their progress, and 'remove' that obstacle so the athlete can get on with it.

Sometimes the problem is mechanical, sometimes procedural, sometimes a matter of conceptual misunderstanding.

---

I have a few clinic ideas.

One of which involves video analysis for those of you who have no idea what you look like in motion. Collect some footage, view indoors, and address the big picture.

Another option, for indoors/ post ride, is a discussion of boot/foot related issues, including an explanation of foot types/mobility, assessment of individual feet and foot support appliances, and why skill development stalls in the absence of adequate gear configuration.

While most riders run into similar potholes on the arc of skill development, some have specific needs that may not be well addressed in a group setting. To that end, a series of concurrent, 'one-run diagnostics' with only one or two participants per run might be helpful.

Other possibilities; dealing with turn transitions, the role of flexion/extension, appropriate use of various edge change options, etc, etc.

And of course the 'making it up as I go along' approach.

I'm bringing skis, if anyone wants a 'non-institutional' ski lesson.

Meanwhile, specific requests/suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Beckmann AG

Hi Eric:

Glad you can make it!!

A set up "dial in" clinic would be great. Not sure if it's' feasible with the amount of people and time constraint.

My setup such as stance width/toe/heel lift/Boot forward lean are in the ball park; but I am afraid to change/tinker with them.

The fears are and part due to laziness and making it worse.

Is it possible to cover the basic such as:

If I feel my front quad burning: Try this XXX

Problem with heel to toe side edge change: Try this YYY

Thanks

David

Ha... I think I am in the ball park; or at least in the parking lot area :-)

How do I go about dialing in the setup is my problem. Too many settings to try if I don't know what each change actually does/solved.

If something does not feel right: When/why/how should we change the stance width/binding angle/cant/lifts?

At least now I know to only change one minor thing at a time and take picture/notes of "last known OK setup".