Note to New Members ×

Stratton

*Ace*

It's more crowded/choppy than I expected.  Expectation is a funny thing....

Guess the cold spell finally broke(Still low 2 digits but was told it's like a heat wave in comparison) and people came out of the wood work.
Utilized the single line:  still got about 30k vertical feet in.
Took a bus trip; by the time i hit the slope it's about 9:30AM didn't see groom mark all day.  

Groom on upper standard is much poorer than I remembered.  It's carvable but not enjoyable for my skill level.
Middlebrook area/Sun Bowl/Super trail was tons of fun.  There are some icy spot but general coverage is excellent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

yeh stay away from Stratton. I live here and am out 4 days a week and have probably only ridden hard boots 5 days this season.

Grooming is absolutely atrocious, or non existent. I have complained to the president and he said they are trying, but I have not seen any consistent improvement. To make it worse they are not grooming out to the edges of many trails making narrow trails even narrower.

Go to any other area in the east and you will have a better carving day.

• Sad 1

Yep, AlexJ might have been kind in his review.  I have a place in Dorset and typically have 30 days at Stratton in by now.  I've been avoiding my "satellite office" and riding locally its been that bad.  In all fairness, after a SPECTACULAR November, December was a string of weekends at 60 and rain through Christmas.  Tough to recover from that, but there were plenty of opportunities. Not sure what is going on there this winter.  I'm scheduled to be there next week, which two days ago looked to be the start of a cold/snow pattern, however the latest forecast has changed to mild snow/rain. I'm considering making the long drive to the Loaf again instead... 

I have to eat crow because today was fantastic. Grooming was really good (not amazing) but good. Snow textures was perfect. 

Tamarak, middlebrook, standard, spruce, supertrail were all great carving.

Plus the old "A team" was out in force, broken boots and work had us stop at 11:30AM. Snow was still great. Carving will be perfect through the weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...