Note to New Members ×

Bohemia

bigwavedave

I don't know if I'll get up there this year, but this might be a good year. Their website says 1 foot of snow today, 3 feet past week and still snowing...opening day Saturday. Lake effect, compliments of Mother Superior.

Photo from 2 years ago:

post-8510-1418424017_thumb.jpg

a foot of snow TODAY,

Over 3 feet of snow in the past week

And it's still snowing!!!

Over a foot of snow TODAY,

Over 3 feet of snow in the past week

And it's still snowing!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I talked to a guy at the house about Bohemia, he actually likes it better than out west. Less crowds and the snow is usually better and less tracked.

7 hour drive though...... :eek:

All they need is a north or NW wind and they get lake effect snow, but it also needs to be cold enough to snow! Last year the UP had about 6 feet of snow by this time.

Do a combined trip to Indianhead , which is probably the best carving hill in the midwest (midweek to avoid crowds) , and head up to the Porkies and/or Bohemia if and when the lake effect is kicking in. I was at Bohemia after a big dump and was surprised how many people were there. The Porkies were less crowded and they have a rope tow at the top to get you up more remote tree runs.

Don't think I'd say it's better than out west though. 

• Like 2

I figured that was a little bit of a stretch. But concidering the crowds I have seen out west, I can see where he is coming from.... Next time I go, I'm bringing a split.

You can avoid the crowds out west, all depends on where and when you go, avoiding holidays, school vacations and resorts close to large populations.

A split would be a great idea at Bohemia, as there is enough time before the lift starts at 10am to make fresh tracks. Just need to turn on the lake effect snow!

Hey Al, if you're reading this, can you flick on the lake effect switch while you're up there? :confused:

Edited by bigwavedave

• 3 years later...