Note to New Members ×

BEast - Berkshire East

cail

Had a blast today!  :biggthump

The morning was super duper, followed by a wonderfully sunny spring day until about 2 PM when it just got too wet.   The first three runs down Chief, Exhibition, and Hemlock were easily among the best carving runs and most fun all season.   :1luvu:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not really the place for it here but since I'm here, we'll have a good group of carvers at the Loaf from 2/27-3/3, that's the week after school vacation, if any of you want to voyage north. Kind of our idea of a mini session in the eces off year. 7-12 riders on any given day. Was at Gunstock on Sunday and it was a slush fest- carving was probably not the best choice-snow was so soft you could lay pipe in the trenches 8-10" deep.

Bonz

It was a good day at the BEast. Not the best day, but good enough.  New snow all around. Rolled and extra firm in the morning. It softened a bit afternoon.  Decent trenching on  Exhibition.  But oh so crowded!  There were actually other people on the lift at the same time as me. Like 4 or so.....

Robin, it was good to see ya again.

Edited by WhiteHorse
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...

I say let’s forget all those ‘by the season’ threads and just go here for everything Berkshire East related.

I saw this on Facebook today. They are putting in a high speed QUAD going up the side of Comp. The lift it’s replacing in the background will be relocated for the north side expansion.

IMG_4839.jpeg.540a878242496372418a222da21e8963.jpeg

I personally love how the new lift has the towers relocated on the side of Comp. This will now offer chair riders better views of that slope, which will be prime showboat territory!

If only they increased the speed of the Exhibition Chair. That slope is so fun. I ❤️ that place....

On a side note...I only have a pass for my local mountain, Ski Sundown, this year. I will probably be there 90% of the time with my 2 boys who also have passes for the 1st time ever. Both just have magic carpet and Rope Tow experience, so getting on the lift this year is going change the game for us. With any luck perhaps we will venture up to The BEast for a day.

• *Ace* changed the title to BEast - Berkshire East
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well... the new lift sure is nice. And fast. But there's less incentive for them to run other lifts, which makes for a bit of a line on a crowded holiday weekend. Something that, until recently, Berkshire East, has been mostly immune to. They did a good job at keeping the line moving, but with that many people on the hill and still many trails not yet open, it was CROWDED. 

For the first 90 minutes, it was good carving. Nothing like Competition top to bottom first thing it the morning to get the blood flowing! By 10:00 it was really too busy for serious carving and by 11:00 it turned into a shooting gallery. 

Conditions on Competition, upper Chief, and Exhibition were crispy and fast. They were blowing snow on Lower Chief which was full of fresh piles. Same with War Dance and UMass. 

Regular trails such as Mohawk, Thunder, Roudabout, and Hemlock are not yet open. 

Probably the most memorable (and sad) thing was to get asked by lift attendants, "whoa, what kind of board is that? Is that splitboard?".  And even after trying to explain it to them, they still thought I was using ski boots on a snowboard. @dingbat we miss you more than ever!

Maybe it's time for another Rally reunion? 

• Like 1