Note to New Members ×

Flying to DIA vs. Aspen

I know this is a little early, but I want to buy my plane tickets soon before the prices go up. So, do you risk the adverse weather and fly to Aspen or do you fly to Denver, which is more likely to be open, and shuttle bus or rent a car to Aspen?

This will be my first SES so I really have no idea?

I've flown to Aspen for the last 5+ years. One year had me concerned, but we still made it after a very short delay.

I figure if you get stuck in Denver, it's only slightly more inconvenient than if you had planned to bus/drive from there anyway. Maybe I'm overly optimistic on that - I don't know as it hasn't happened yet. I imagine it would be a mad rush to get on a shuttle bus if the flight was cancelled.

Keenan, I am not sure if anyone flies directly to ASPEN , I don't think so?

Fly into Denver and commuter type flight to Aspen. I do recall years when weather made the flight difficult if not impossible.

Be prepared to find a 4-5 hour ride to Aspen should the airport be closed.

So , you can buy the ticket to DIA for sure. It seldom closes comparatively

Perhaps you can search on some of the the past year SES threads for more info?

Basically Aspen Valley is quite a ways from Denver, round about , if you will

Me? I drive, too much gear :)

Hook up with others doing the same thing. Each year someone rents a van or they sign up for a shuttle at the same time.

Bryan has a good point, there are others you can hook up with to drive from Denver if you want. It is more predictable as far as closures. However, you can also fly into Eagle and rent a car/hook up with others from there. The drive from there is about 1 1/2 hrs.

We have only had a problem one year with people flying directly into Aspen. Unfortunately it was the day everyone was arriving, and the day everyone was leaving. If the weather is so bad that they close the airport in Aspen, more than likely you are not going to want to drive. However, sometimes they close the airport because of fog (not typical) but they have to have sight in order to fly into Aspen. Otherwise, the odds are in your favor and if you do get to fly into Aspen - WOOOOEEEEE what a ride!

There are shuttles that will take you from DIA to Aspen and back. Check out http://www.coloradomountainexpress.com/ or http://www.aspenairportshuttle.com/. They're a bit pricey, and you can probably go cheaper if you carpool.

let me know if you need more info. Glad you are coming!

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

• 3 weeks later...