Note to New Members ×

2013 Riding at Whitetail

piusthedrcarve

Dave, I'm also planning to go to Bretton Wood, used to be my home ground years back, on last week of March with family. I'm prepping my kids to like ski and am quiet happy with progress of my 5 years old. Which resort are you thinking? I can say BW has the most carving and family friendly slopes among NH resorts.

flying into Manchester and doing a three day tour - not going any further north than Gunstock, so maybe Sunapee, Crotched, Ragged, i dunno. my 5 year old is progressing nicely as well - most importantly, she absolutely loves it and even understands the race for last chair.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give them a couple more days to blow some more ice - currently plan to be at WT for first chair on Monday ;)

Smart!!

I just came back from WT and am very disappointed on slope condition. They turned off snow guns at 9:30. and when I left it was 57'F at parking lot. WTF. On top of that, they set up the small gates for kids on top of SnowPark and the bottom left for teens. That' allow all other people in middle since the left (from top) is not covered yet. Oh... easily 15min. wait on EZ rider chairs by 10:30.

Then, went to HomeRun & SnowDancer. By 11, they got all cut-up and chopped and pushed snow here and there. That caused a lot of brown spots and couldn't trust base depth. Here is WT's BS snow condition that is still up on WT website.

post-8598-141842381887_thumb.png

Now I need to clean the base & check edges if any area got rocked. :angryfire

Stay away there tomorrow. At least Monday or later would be better.

Today, instead I went to Liberty since WT doesn't offer just 2 hour lesson for kids.

Today's sleet covered groomed. It was rock hard on backside and fogged up top half. Visibility was at minimum.

So rode mostly on front side. Took the Alpine Quad chair up to the top and came down on Upper/Lower Blue Streak. The Lower Blue Streak was just FLAT so I had good workout on my quads.

Can't wait to ride WT next week.

Did anyone ride Farside? if did, how's coverage there? Hope it survive next 3 days of +50 temp.

Was there from 830a, condition was quite nice today, the entire width of Snowpark was groomed & they received 3 inches of fresh snow past night. It did warm up a bit & slowed a bit, but really had fun turning all morning.

Have fun to tomorrow! It should be another nice day!

We (with se7en) rode non-stop from 8:45 a.m. to 1:45 pm, mainly on SnowPark & Farside.

I worried snow condition since it was 34'F when we got there but it remained same or just above due to little breeze and grey sky.

Flat light day it was. Groom was not soft at all but not hard. Little uneven groomed on top half of Farside but Grip was EXCELLENT. Some spots were brownish but it was from snowmaking, not dirts or ground. Coverage was OK, although there were some rocks and dirt shown on Exhibition and left side (from lift) of limelight, which I don't usually ride.

No waiting on lifts and good snow condition. The best day it was for this season so far.

It was one of break-thru days for se7en. He was able to get down really low and taste tail pops out of turns on Madd 158 and took a huge tumble because of that. Now he is infected, even though he owns a virus. :eplus2:

We (with se7en) rode non-stop from 8:45 a.m. to 1:45 pm, mainly on SnowPark & Farside.

It was one of break-thru days for se7en. He was able to get down really low and taste tail pops out of turns on Madd 158 and took a huge tumble because of that. Now he is infected, even though he owns a virus. :eplus2:

Madd R.E.S.P.E.C.T!! Still get chills thinkin' about it :D

Edited by se7en

Again, I can't go with you tomorrow. I'm guessing it will be WISP from now on unless we get a dump. Too mild for snow to stick around.

I'm thinking Monday, President's Day for WT for one last time with my kid. I know it's going to be crowded as usual.. Let me know WISP's condition if you go. I may take my kid to there.

I don't know where I should go on the last week of March. I saved my vacation days for the whole week of riding.

if not north, maybe Snowshoe?. Don't know how their condition will be at this point.

Pius, the last week of March at Snowshoe is not normally what I'd consider to be ideal conditions. IMO, if you are going to take a week that late in the season and stay on the east coast, go at least as far north as Rutland, VT (Killington). You'd drive 5 hours to get to Snowshoe anyway, what's another 3 if the snow is so much better.

Pius, the last week of March at Snowshoe is not normally what I'd consider to be ideal conditions. IMO, if you are going to take a week that late in the season and stay on the east coast, go at least as far north as Rutland, VT (Killington). You'd drive 5 hours to get to Snowshoe anyway, what's another 3 if the snow is so much better.

Thanks for your suggestion. I considered Snowshoe as alternative since it's almost 10 degree colder than here any time of this winter. Anyway, how was WISP yesterday?

I will ride WT on President Day till 1. This time I will be riding with my 5 yrs old. I couldn't find lesson slots at all (Sold-Out all morning & afternoon sessions) for him. so I gotta babysit him on slope.

I will be on SG at Farside most of morning,

Rode today. Bluebird day it was.

Over last 2 nights, WT made good amount of snow.. at least a foot and it was very soft.

Overslept and got there around 9:30 It was 22' and little windy but calmed down about 10. About that time, 10 min. wait on lift. Around 12, good 20 min. wait. Tons of people. The line (for SnowPark) was twice longer than rope.:eek: First time seeing that. Around 11, all trails were chopped and were like mogul. and ZOO.

I was expected but really didn't expect this much. I guess many people just came out for last time for the season. I'm thinking Wisp from now on.

just came back from WT after riding with grock5 and his sister for good 3 hours.

Overall, snow was soft due to 2 days of snow making. Grooming was not optimal. Some section were groomed last night and got frozen and started to freeze some spot here and there.

Sleet were coming down around 10:30 and changed to Snow for while. I'm suspecting it will turn to freezing rain or sleet over this afternoon.

Today, I worked on finishing each turn and resulted me dozing into side of the trail on 15m SCR board. I ate some snow and took some body slamming/rolling off the trail.

Luckily, I & board didn't get any damage but it was a scary moment. Knowing grock5 is within few second behind me was somewhat comforted me at that moment.

Sucks to come back to work after, but it was GOOD. Goro, let me know when you go up next time.

So, planning to take a midweek day (Mon, Tues or Wed) off & hit WT the week of 3/4.

(Putting in a day of work today in exchange...)

Being that Thu/Fri is not an option, which day looks the best next week?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/mercersburg-pa/17236/daily-weather-forecast/2243067

Still undecided...

Hi Goro,

I may be able to take a 1/2 day off from on Tue or Wed but am not sure when at the moment.

Being in Mid-Atlantic area with few years of NO WINTER, I've been following one of private meteorigist last few years. Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/WxRisk

He expects heavy snow around Central/Western VA on 5th, 6th and 7th.

post-8598-141842387469_thumb.jpg

If that's correct, Wednesday morning would be the best. Hope I can ride with you on that day. I will let you know by monday night.

i'm watching this and might see you fellas, especially if it's wednesday.

yesterday at Wisp was magic - super dry lake effect flew around all day and added 3 inches to the three that was there when the lifts opened. best snow i've seen anywhere (including CO and NH) in a few years. the kind that you choke on. was with my wife and kids and it might be their last day this year so it's great that it was a good one. someone there had a new school Donek alpine board in the rack but i didn't meet them. anyone?

friday is the day i've most got my eye on - blue sky, maybe.