Note to New Members ×

Minds in the Water

softbootsurfer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The guy keeps dragging his hand to pull back into that monster!! No straps either, so he paddled into the wave!

so Big and a Perfect Point break, perhaps the Ride of a Lifetime.....:biggthump

Below, two quite different vids from the guys @ CatchSurf.

Water(wo)men are using the company's sponge & Beater Boards in hybrid, "pseudomorph" skim/surf mode to invent surf where there's almost no swell, or conversely, manic, overhead shore pound.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/58586900?title=0&color=c9ff23" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/53467850?title=0&color=c9ff23" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Like you say, Softboot, it's all Ocean Moshun, and it's all So Fine!

Mahalo

BB

Edited by boarderboy

1243883301-hurricane-220x165.jpg

The storm/wave lover in me hopes the scientists are right. Millions will, quite understandably, hope they're wrong...

print friendly

NC State researchers: 2013 to have active hurricane season

By Chris Lusuriello, WRAL weather intern

Posted: 4:09 p.m. yesterday

Updated: 4:13 p.m. yesterday

Top researchers at N.C. State have concluded that the Atlantic Basin, which includes the Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, and the Gulf of Mexico, is bound to have an active hurricane season.

The data below is what researchers Dr. Lian Xie, Dr. Montserrat Fuentes, Dr. Dorit Hammerling and Bin Liu have found after extensive research involving both climatic and statistical indices.

ENTIRE ATLANTIC BASIN

PREDICTED AVERAGE

NAMED STORMS 13-17 10.8

HURRICANES 7-10 6.3

MAJOR HURRICANES 3-6 2.7

CARIBBEAN SEA

PREDICTED AVERAGE

NAMED STORMS 3-6 2.6

HURRICANES 2-3 1.4

MAJOR HURRICANES 1-2 0.7

GULF OF MEXICO

PREDICTED AVERAGE

NAMED STORMS 3-5 3.1

HURRICANES 1-2 1.6

MAJOR HURRICANES 0-1 0.7

With hurricane season (June 1-Nov. 30) approaching, top researchers from top meteorological universities are coming out with their 2013 tropical outlooks. Different researchers have different methodologies as to how they develop their forecasts and statistical models.

What Dr. Lian Xie’s team has discovered over the past 12 years is that, by using the “Lasso methodology,” they’ve been able to come up with fairly accurate predictions regarding the tropical season in the Atlantic Basin (which includes the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico). Lasso methodology allows for variable selection when correlation occurs among prediction models.

By splitting up climatic models for different regions and different categories of storms, it’s advantageous because it’s easy to interpret. Examples of climatic models used by Dr. Xie’s team include the Atlantic Meridional Mode, Atlantic Multi-Decadal Oscillation, both the Tropical North and Tropical South Atlantic models, among many, many others.

The models used help to show past years of hurricane position and intensity, along with sea-surface temperatures and past weather patterns. By also using re-forecasting analysis, the research time is able to evaluate the prediction accuracy for different regions when using the Lasso methodology.

What they found is that prediction skill is best in the North Atlantic Basin, intermediate in the Caribbean Sea, and least effective in the Gulf of Mexico. Lastly, by using a 95 percent confidence interval, the research team has effectively found a range for the number of certain storms to affect the Atlantic Basin.

this is simple Basic equipment mixed with proper technique...Wonderful :biggthump

We "tow in" all summer long wakesurfing behind our boat. I've always wondered how much harder (if at all) it'd be to tow in in the ocean. I don't need 20' barrels like this.... 4-6' would be awesome. Are there any fat guy tow in trips out there?

In Winters Arms :eek::biggthump

and there are those who truly 'Rage Against the Storm'. Most of these riders seem to belong to the latter group.

No matter how cold the water, how grueling the paddle, how steep the drop, how unlikely a safe outcome, these brutes are gonna go!!

Breathtaking!!

Salutes all around!!

BB :biggthump

Saw this and thought of you SBS.

Gee!!! :nono: I never put my Hands behind my Back after Tricks :)

Amazing smoothness on that first one...I watched the contest Live and it reminded me of all the contest where you would show up only to find 1ft. waves blown out and you were supposed to go out and perform...:barf: and these days you can go to any beach where Groms are present and watch them all doing perfect airs all over the place...though I must add here being old school means surfing to me is done on the Wave Like Snowboarding to me is done on the Snow...want some air ? go jump off a cliff :)

Catch-Surf-ONE-Blair-Conklin--580x382.png

OK, so how long do you think Blair Conklin has been tubed by this nightmare? The true question, methinks, is how long he'll be in traction after Ma Ocean spits him out of her warm amniotic fluid into a decidedly less welcoming and more abrasive world ... (!) :eek::eek:

Tallyho!! :freak3:

BB