Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

I always viewed Alpine boarding as safer than skiing. This thread is making me re-evaluate my hypothesis. Yes, I still two plank, but the ratio is 90:10 in favor of boarding. Perhaps that ratio will change next season.

Most the injuries we see in the patrol are wrists and shoulders. My leg is the first broken lower extremity of a snowboarder in recent memory that did not involve a collision or airborne landing, and the first alpine boarding injury anyone can remember. Unfortunately, the way we record our accidents does not make them amenable to data mining. Of course, since the freestyle to alpine ratio is better than probably 5,000:1 per participant day, this isn't surprising.

Get well soon, my brothers.

Update:

Having read what Sean Martin had to say about a cartwheeling and destroying a board at Schweitzer and yet he did not suffer any injuries (see the "NICE" thread) makes me wonder if a plate could have prevented a few lower leg injuries on this thread.

I never thought of plates as a safety device. This could be huge!

How about some xray pics Kimo. Thread is useless without pics! It was mentioned to me something about the nursing staff in Summit being worthy of pics also. Heel up soon Kimo.

How's this for x-rays? Mark was too busy wagging his tongue to take many pics of the staff.

184279_1662597878378_1040138524_31436811_1129099_n.jpg

How about some xray pics Kimo. Thread is useless without pics! It was mentioned to me something about the nursing staff in Summit being worthy of pics also. Heel up soon Kimo.

OK. Here's a pic of the patroller who brought me down. She said the next patroller in line was a fat, hairy and stinky guy.

190276_1662897085858_1040138524_31437147_5690308_n.jpg

OK. Here's a pic of the patroller who brought me down. She said the next patroller in line was a fat, hairy and stinky guy.

190276_1662897085858_1040138524_31437147_5690308_n.jpg

I'm glad you didn't wait longer to go snap crackle pop! The fat hairy dude would have made it much more painful.

When you do something, you sure do it right! To bad that much hardware wont be visible when you are recovered.

You might check into one of these for the recovery process

post-2073-141842338927_thumb.jpg

Wow!!! Thanks for the update Kimo. Your spirit is alive and well I see. Damn Dude. :eek: Please keep us up to date. I was a total wuss in comparison. When they offered the fentanyl, I was like "Yes Sir, may I have another?" You are one tough dude, dude!!

Thinking of you , Bryan

they gave me some of that when i came out of the general, it was niiiiiiice. the tramadol they gave me to take home wasn't nearly as good.

In Aspen , during SES 200?? , they administered it via nasal inhaler on the slope. I was warm and fuzzy for a short time :freak3:

In Aspen , during SES 200?? , they administered it via nasal inhaler on the slope. I was warm and fuzzy for a short time :freak3:
now that sounds pretty good. i had to settle for 25ml going in through the cannula on my hand. left me slack-faced for a good 15 mins :biggthump

Wow -- when I broke my collarbone at Squaw a few years back, I got to enjoy bouncing down the mountain in the death sled w/o any medication...

Heal fast Kimo!!!

Wow -- when I broke my collarbone at Squaw a few years back, I got to enjoy bouncing down the mountain in the death sled w/o any medication...

Heal fast Kimo!!!

When I did mine at Okemo years ago, I had heard horror stories about the ride down in the sled being super bumpy so I just rode very cautiously to the bottom. Thankfully it didn't hurt that much until I got to the very bottom, and had to take my shirt off ... that was unpleasant to say the least.

Kimo, you are a beast!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Almost didn't post this but you guys have always been so good to me. Getting a feel for an Oxygen APX that I picked up in new condition. Really fun board, forgiving in chop & still rails quite nicely. Had been riding all day mostly teaching my daughter. Anyway, I was caught off guard standing relaxed and cruising slow on a cat track. I caught an edge spun around switch & went over the tail length-wise torqued my front (right) ankle. An embarrassing tumble. Contusions and soft tissue damage, can't bear weight. Will be off work a few weeks and the end of my season. The Ortho Doc was real surprised that I sustained ankle damage while in hard boots. Hope the rest of the season is safe and fun for the rest of you.

Cheers

--Chandler