Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

I'm no engineer either but that board is apparently designed to be used in conjunction with that plate for hardcore training and racing for world cup guys that are big, strong and powerful to ride on worse terrain a lot faster and harder. Not taking away anything from @nitro's level because I understand he is a strong and high level rider, but these boards are built for big boy world cup level riders and that's at least many steps up from the best of us on this forum. Plus, hard race training is always going to place significantly more stress on a board than hard freecarving.

2 apparent elite World Cup level boards both failing at plate inserts within 55 days.

Last time I checked, 1+1=2. Do the math, something doesn't add up here.

There are other threads recording failure at the UPM inserts. I have a 2012 build Coiler NSR 180cm with UPM inserts that failed non-catastrophically at the same point as Nitro's Donek. In correspondence with BV he's clearly had the same issue occur with other boards and recognises that these extra inserts in a thinner part of a boards core are weak spots. He discouraged me from getting UPM inserts in the replacement board I bought from him. 

The buyer should beware, especially buying 2nd hand boards with UPM/AllFlex inserts. 

Just now, SunSurfer said:

There are other threads recording failure at the UPM inserts. I have a 2012 build Coiler NSR 180cm with UPM inserts that failed non-catastrophically at the same point as Nitro's Donek. In correspondence with BV he's clearly had the same issue occur with other boards and recognises that these extra inserts in a thinner part of a boards core are weak spots. He discouraged me from getting UPM inserts in the replacement board I bought from him. 

The buyer should beware, especially buying 2nd hand boards with UPM/AllFlex inserts. 

I believe the top brands- Oxess, Kessler, SG have developed reinforcement technologies about those points to handle the load. When a large percentage of your revenue is generated from racing boards with Allflex plates, it is a priority to develop the board technology to handle the plate. Bruce isn't heavily involved in that scene anymore and it seems like Donek is selling more twins than anything these days. Like my dad says, "If you want to be a world champion dancer, you come see me, you don't go to a fish and chip shop."

• 5 months later...

Well,  somebody's got to kick this off!     So this Thurs.  finally going under the knife...uh, laser?....uh staple gun??  for my 2 Rotator cuff tears from last January's  body slam "Name That Injury!" thread. 

It's sad that I'm going to miss most if not all of this riding season but I got to keep riding through the end of last winter and enjoyed all summer and fall road biking.....so it's time. 

Hope I'm the only one taking one for the team this winter! :smashfrea

Edited by barryj

• 11 months later...

I'm now out for the next 12 months, both for snowboarding and mountain biking. Dual anti-platelet treatment for the drug eluting stent, in my immediately prior completely blocked LAD coronary artery, that saved my life on Sunday, 2 days ago. The drugs make the risk of severe bleeding too high even with a relatively minor injury. My new Thirst Superconductor will just have to wait til 2022 to be ridden.

I was on a downhill part of mountain bike ride when I got sustained chest pain that didn't go away when I slowed down or even stopped and rested. I'm a 61 yr old doctor yet it took me a little while to reframe my mental image of myself, with essentially no risk factors for coronary artery disease, to say "This feels like a heart attack. I'm going to dial ###".

From symptom onset to stent placement was around 2 hours, including me getting to carpark at the bottom of the hill, the ambulance getting to me then hospital, transit through ED and into the Cath Lab. The lesion I had is also called "the widow maker" for very good reasons. I suspect something like this took Scott from us a year or so back.

This mental image thing is important. I've spoken to 2 other people in the last 48 hours who delayed calling the ambulance for the same reason. One is a doctor I work with. His wife ended up doing CPR on him. He had pretty much the same site blockage I did.

I have just one troublesome atheroma plaque. The rest of my LAD and the other 2 main arteries to my heart are pristine. I am BMI 23, never overweight, normal BP, not diabetic, never smoked, on my 2019 trip to Aspen could carve 11,000 vertical metres in a day and ride 16 days straight, and exercised rigorously since childhood. Low risk is not NO RISK.

If you are more than 45 years old and male, and you get a central chest pain that doesn't rapidly go away, prevent us grieving for you and just call the f*****' ambulance.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I get to go home tomorrow. I have a damaged area of muscle but a normal post event ECG and very good pump function on my echo. My only modifiable factor are my lipid levels which are slightly raised. I have no significant family history for coronary disease at this age.

• Like 2

And all this time I've been worried about getting hit by a bus or getting covid. Good thing your a tinkerer. I'd be worried you would die of boredom can't wait to see what you come up with in the garage after your wife has you complete the honey do  list. I'd recommend some meds but everything available on the reserve near here is cannabis based and non gov't approved. Keep Safe and to Quote Red Green if you know who that is "We're all pulling for you"    Pat

• Like 1

Gee wiz man.  Glad you made it out of that one.  Bummed for you loss of activity, but being alive is being alive.  I work post-cath and most infarctions make sense but every once in a while we get one like you, fit as a fiddle and no family history.  Those are the scary ones.  I'm sorry this happened to you, but thank you for sharing as a precautionary tale.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

If you are more than 45 years old and male, and you get a central chest pain that doesn't rapidly go away, prevent us grieving for you and just call the f*****' ambulance.

Message received loud and clear! 

Glad to hear you came to your senses and survived. We'll make some turns together another year! 

• Like 2

Hey Alan - great to hear that you let you intellect override your self image. Good message for a lot of us on this forum. A lot of us are in a similar demographic - older, active and male. Maybe we can all learn something from your experience. 

Hope you heal quickly and completely. 

• Like 1

Wow!  Glad your still with us  Alan!  Sorry you've joined this elite club!  :cool:

Curious if you had seen the 2015? Heart Disease Detection Documentary "Widowmaker"

After viewing the Documentary 4? years ago I searched out a lab to perform the  CAC (Coranary Artery Calcium) test.  It's proven that this test is a better predictor of coronary events than cholesterol screening or other risk factor assessments.  Insurance covered the less than 5 minute procedure and I scored a 7 :biggthump which means I have a small amount of plaque and less than  a 10% chance of  heart disease/Heart Attack the next 10 years.  Very Reassuring Information!

Here's a article on CAC scans - https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/the-heart-test-you-may-need-but-likely-havent-heard-of

Info below on interpreting the scoring and a link of the source from John Hopkins:     https://www.umms.org/ummc/health-services/imaging/diagnostic/cardiac-calcium-scoring

Zero: No plaque. Your risk of heart attack is low.

1 - 10: Small amount of plaque. You have less than a 10 percent chance of having heart disease, and your risk of heart attack is low.

11-100: Some plaque. You have mild heart disease and a moderate chance of heart attack. Your doctor may recommend other treatment in addition to lifestyle changes.

101 - 400: Moderate amount of plaque. You have heart disease and plaque may be blocking an artery. Your chance of having a heart attack is moderate to high. Your health professional may want more tests and may start treatment.

Over 400: Large amount of plaque. You have more than a 90 percent chance that plaque is blocking one of your arteries. Your chance of heart attack is high. Your health professional will want more tests and will start treatment.

Here's a trailer:

...and her's the link to the full movie:   

https://www.dietdoctor.com/watch-widowmaker-movie

Sorry to get on a tangent and hijack your thread Alan but hope people will heed your call to Take Action At The Onset Of Unrelenting Chest Pain  and the preventive CAC screening test in this post can save some Lives!

• Like 1

@barryjWe have CAC screening available in NZ. If I'd been screened I'd have been low risk cause there was just one plaque. 

@slopestarGuys are often not good at the preventative stuff.

The event rammed home what I knew intellectually from my 11 years in critical care, no guarantee for anyone that they will wake up in the morning and find themselves on the right side of the grass.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This past Sunday was supposed to be day one of a full week of riding at Sunday River. The conditions were fantastic.  Firm packed powder and excellent grooming all over.  I had spent the day following my wife and kids all over the mountain on my new BXFR.  Around 3:00 I was on one of my favorite pitches, Sunday Punch.  It's a steep blue that was, at that moment, perfect for carving.  Hard chalk all the way with no ice.  80% of the way down, near the end of a toe side, the nose caught something and the board came to an abrupt stop.  All of my momentum was forced upon my front foot.  I felt a pop in my ankle.  Lots of pain.  I don't remember coming to a stop as I was paying more attention to immediately assessing what the damage might be.  Many things ran thru my head, pulled Achilles' tendon, broken bone, bad sprain, etc.

My son was with me and stopped to see if everything was ok.  After, sitting for a minute or two I decided to side slip down the rest of the steep and then gingerly make slow skidding turns to Barker lodge.  Got ride back to the hotel from the wife.  Iced it all that night and went to urgent care in the morning.  X-ray shows a small bone chip on the top of my heel.  Have to go to an orthopedic next week for a full assessment.

Season is likely over before I had a chance to ride my Contra 162 more than once, ride my Contra 178 at all and have @Beckmann AG finish making my custom foot beds.  Feels like the season barely started and now I'm done.  Booooooo!

• Sad 10

2 hours ago, workshop7 said:

This past Sunday was supposed to be day one of a full week of riding at Sunday River. The conditions were fantastic.  Firm packed powder and excellent grooming all over.  I had spent the day following my wife and kids all over the mountain on my new BXFR.  Around 3:00 I was on one of my favorite pitches, Sunday Punch.  It's a steep blue that was, at that moment, perfect for carving.  Hard chalk all the way with no ice.  80% of the way down, near the end of a toe side, the nose caught something and the board came to an abrupt stop.  All of my momentum was forced upon my front foot.  I felt a pop in my ankle.  Lots of pain.  I don't remember coming to a stop as I was paying more attention to immediately assessing what the damage might be.  Many things ran thru my head, pulled Achilles' tendon, broken bone, bad sprain, etc.

My son was with me and stopped to see if everything was ok.  After, sitting for a minute or two I decided to side slip down the rest of the steep and then gingerly make slow skidding turns to Barker lodge.  Got ride back to the hotel from the wife.  Iced it all that night and went to urgent care in the morning.  X-ray shows a small bone chip on the top of my heel.  Have to go to an orthopedic next week for a full assessment.

Season is likely over before I had a chance to ride my Contra 162 more than once, ride my Contra 178 at all and have @Beckmann AG finish making my custom foot beds.  Feels like the season barely started and now I'm done.  Booooooo!

Totally SUCKS!  Soooo sorry!

N E chance this was the usual “over the handlebars” disaster? When that has happened to me it’s like all hell breaks loose instantaneously and you wonder what happened. Or, are you pretty sure your board hit something?

2 hours ago, workshop7 said:

I saw this Post, I remember Annie doing this horrendous job on her Ankle over on Tiehack, while riding with Mike Doyle and Cliff I think...all that energy from the stick going in to her Ankle, on an unplanned sudden stop, she was taken to the hospital, a top orthopedic doctor was going to operate the next day, putting in 6 screws, plates and whatever, Mike Doyle though, contacted a good orthopedic doctor friend in LA, who requested he send her MRI's to him, to look at, he told Mike to forego the Surgery, take her Home and stay off of it for 6 weeks!! he did that and she recovered fully, if they want to fill you with Pins and Needles, maybe get a second opinion? Good Luck and Heal Well and Fast...

7 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

I saw this Post, I remember Annie doing this horrendous job on her Ankle over on Tiehack, while riding with Mike Doyle and Cliff I think...all that energy from the stick going in to her Ankle, on an unplanned sudden stop, she was taken to the hospital, a top orthopedic doctor was going to operate the next day, putting in 6 screws, plates and whatever, Mike Doyle though, contacted a good orthopedic doctor friend in LA, who requested he send her MRI's to him, to look at, he told Mike to forego the Surgery, take her Home and stay off of it for 6 weeks!! he did that and she recovered fully, if they want to fill you with Pins and Needles, maybe get a second opinion? Good Luck and Heal Well and Fast...

Wow! A very scary story...second opinions are frequently valuable!