Note to New Members ×

Massanutten Resort - Feb 6-12

Flashby

Ahhh, well enjoy the gathering and I might try to make it to the next one. This is a time a co-worker has a timeshare all week so a few of us are stopping there to play on the hills. I'll post a report as long as I survive the other trips I have planned this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Flashby...I live about an hour north of Massanutten, and my ex and I own a (summer) timeshare there. I've always wondered how the slopes would be for carving...but it's definitely not a big resort (pretty tiny, really). Still, there might be a good run or two! :)

I'm guessing you won't want to go anywhere once you're there...but my home resort is Whitetail—an easy 2hrs north of Massanutten on the interstate. Whitetail isn't big either, but it's a lot bigger than Massanutten. (Just a thought!)

Scott

Thanks, Scott. I'll let you know how it bodes for Winter. Weekdays on the slopes so we are hoping it is fairly empty and multiple runs on the same trail would be no problem (no waiting). It is a few days away from work so who cares.

I see Whitetail. It is on our list of places to visit but so is Timberline, Canaan Valley, Wisp, Peak 'n Peek, Holiday Valley, Blue Knob ... but I'll get around to some of them to visit. I'm still new to carving so doing more general Snowboarding to get my 'snow legs' and dabble with carving here and there. Opening Season for Seven Springs is tomorrow so I can finally get out and on the slopes.

Cool. Whitetail is my home resort, and I think it's pretty good for a Mid-Atlantic resort, with almost 1,000' of vertical and a good high-speed quad lift.

I'm definitely hoping to check out some of the other PA resorts this winter—Seven Springs, Blue Knob, etc.

Check out my review of Canaan Valley & Timberline. :)

Scott

I'll check your reviews at some point. I'm excited to get out but started at Boyce Park (County Park) and then Seven Springs for 3 weekends and then Snowshoe. Those were all progressive up each time. I'm stoked to hit Stowe next weekend but know that I'll be disappointed coming back home to this stuff so I'm trying to not let that affect how I view Seven Springs. Oh, and in January is a trip to Montana (Bridger Bowl, Red Lodge, Big Sky, Moonlight Basin and if I'm not dead yet maybe Jackson Hole). Those will put the Vermont places to shame let alone Seven Springs. Oh well -- I don't live in Montana.

I hear ya.

There are a lot better places to ride than my local resort...but the way I see it, I'd rather carve several times a week all winter long at my dinky local resort...than only carve 2-3 times all winter at spectacular resorts (because I'd spend all my $$$ going to those spectacular resorts!)

Of course, carving every day at a spectacular resort would be ideal, but...that ain't happening any time soon! :(

Scott

Agreed. I'm learning both Snowboarding and carving so it is a double-edged sword and I'm just picking up as much as I can.

Hey, I see you hail from Harpers Ferry. Good stuff. Took a Boy Scout trip there years ago and have a friend who lives there now. In the summer I will occasionally hit the Summit Point track with some friends (I'll Pit Crew for them).

• 2 weeks later...

went there years ago.....it's known for a few things.

Washingtonians usually refer to it as "massive nothing" or "mass of nothing" b/c it's small....so, don't count on any runs longer than a minute or so.

supposedly they have a real good park / pipe...not sure if it's still teh case, but a bunch of d-bags would go there....these are guys who will openly give you **** about carving, not that they're skilled enough to do it themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
:biggthump Boyce park.... I rode there a number of times in the early days.... couldn't beat the fact is was a 15min dirve from old ext 4 on the turnpike

:) Yep, it is still there but they re-numbered the exits. They just opened on Monday of this week and offer free lift tickets every Tuesday throughout the season. Some of us are thinking of heading out after work one day just to have some fun on the slopes since it is right there (maybe 20-25 min including after work traffic from me). I'm hoping another co-worker comes through on her idea of wanting to learn Snowboarding so that will be fun to teach someone since I just learned the sport (though it would be like the blind leading the blind).

Washingtonians usually refer to it as "massive nothing" or "mass of nothing" b/c it's small....so, don't count on any runs longer than a minute or so.

supposedly they have a real good park / pipe...not sure if it's still teh case, but a bunch of d-bags would go there....these are guys who will openly give you **** about carving, not that they're skilled enough to do it themselves.

I realize it is small and 'nothing' there but my friend who started when I did turns 25 and is using his parents' timeshare option to snag a place for a week and chill with his brother (who hits Wintergreen in VA). I'll take half a week and relax there or hit the indoor water park or whatever. Maybe I'll take the time to work on my binding setup and switch fee and ride right foot forward just to try things out or go to some more severe angles than I have been.

went there years ago.....it's known for a few things.

:lol:Haters... they're everywhere :D

nut is a small resort with barely any runs, so-so grooming & narry a hardbooter (I've never seen another when I've been there) but it does have a decent amount of vert 1,000+ ... and, I don't know who chit in your cornflakes way back whenever, but they've Always had a pro-boarder adittude. that's what I like, especially when compared to the other 'local' hill - wintergreen.

Anyway, I hit them both, along with road trips to snowshoe & seven springs.

Post up, If I'm around I'd like to go ride.

in fact, it's been a tradition to meet up with my best friend from OH up @ Seven Springs every superbowl weekend for the past 12 yrs.

(and yes, I've been to Boyce. my sister is about 10 minutes from it and that's where I taught her two boys how to ride :biggthump )

nut is a small resort with barely any runs, so-so grooming & narry a hardbooter (I've never seen another when I've been there) but it does have a decent amount of vert 1,000+ ... and, I don't know who chit in your cornflakes way back whenever, but they've Always had a pro-boarder adittude. that's what I like, especially when compared to the other 'local' hill - wintergreen.

Well I will be there the latter part of this week (about Feb 9-12) so post up if you can make it or better yet, add the Phresheez app to your smartphone and join the fun (great little app).

Anyway, I hit them both, along with road trips to snowshoe & seven springs. Post up, If I'm around I'd like to go ride. in fact, it's been a tradition to meet up with my best friend from OH up @ Seven Springs every superbowl weekend for the past 12 yrs.

Nice. I've got a season pass to Seven Springs and am just trying to get the most out of my visit. I know it isn't the biggest place but it lets me make some changes and compare from one week to the next. Last week I changed the bindings from 20/10 (F/R) to 40/30. Felt fine in the Living Room at home and ok on the flat ground off the parking lot. About 5 ft into the run I felt weird and 10 ft in it was too late to stop and hike back up and change it so I went with it. MAN was that different. It felt better but a bit awkward for the non-carving possible that day in those conditions. A half run off the lift to the parking lot and I had to change back to 20/10 for the time (Spring-like conditions and some rain in the morning). Maybe later I can hit some of the Intermediate slopes and carve on them but it was worth testing.

(and yes, I've been to Boyce. my sister is about 10 minutes from it and that's where I taught her two boys how to ride :biggthump )

Nice. I'm trying to get there after work a few times or drag some new folks out to try out Snowboarding now that I'm hooked. Great little place and with free lift tickets every Tuesday this season it is fun just to go out and work on some things from time to time.

Still looking for my first hardbooter this year out on the slopes.

in fact, it's been a tradition to meet up with my best friend from OH up @ Seven Springs every superbowl weekend for the past 12 yrs.

I'll try to remember this. I'm sure it is dead that day with everyone watching the Super Bowl. I'd like to get out when some other hardbooters are on the slopes and learn as much as I can. I'm still very new to all of this but am gathering up as much as I can as fast as I can. I'm balking at all these young'ins tearing up the fast slopes without a care in the world -- only because I'm not to that level yet. After the trip to Montana in a few weeks I can't wait to come back and show it who's boss. Counting the days.

• 7 years later...
On 1/3/2011 at 9:54 PM, Petrol said:

:lol:Haters... they're everywhere ?

Anyway, I hit them both, along with road trips to snowshoe & seven springs.

Post up, If I'm around I'd like to go ride.

I'm a hard boot rider for alpine (soft boots for boardercross).  I've been in hard boots for the last 2 seasons and ride at The Nut.  Not only do I ride there, I ride on their team and have competed at USASA Nationals over the last few years. 

The mountain may be smaller than Wintergreen for example, but we have some great riders and fabulous coaches out here and are the only mountain in the entire App Series that will put up a BX course for competition.

Love to ride with another carver out there as you are right that their aren't many of them.