Note to New Members ×

2010 Upz Rc10

Bora20

No problem... I apologize for getting a bit defensive, but it always amazed me when people don't come in to get things fixed or replaced. Thats what we are there, to make things right...:)

Do you remember who fit you in Killington? Was it Ray Rice maybe? Great friend and a great guy... And one of the best boot-fitters in the world.

Have fun!

Ari

Yes, he foamed me strapped onto the board leaning forward, still excellent heel hold four years later.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode them boot, bindings, and board all today. The boots fit much better, but I need to put the cant back into the front binding.

F - 50 degrees with 3 degrees inward cant

R - 47 degrees with 3 degrees inward cant and full heel lift

I do need to swap out the SOLE footbeds though. They are much too high in the arch and now I am riding on the outside edges of the boot, which is tweaking my knees.

I did get a total of 12 miles of riding in today before my feet, lungs, and thighs were burning. You know that feeling when you almost throw up the yogurt you have 2 hrs before for breakfast? Well that is the trigger to tell you that it is time to stop and spend more time in the gym.

So I think I have finally figured out my foot/boot issues without too many issues. As some of you have read from other threads my feet are getting compressed from the sides at the arch and I can barely do up my boots.

SOLE Thin Sport

I tried a set of these, but the arch was too high and I was riding on the outside edges of my feet. I could last about 2 runs before crying in pain and stripping my boots off beside the chair. During the run I was also getting lots of heel lift, resulting in me cranking down the buckles even more.

thin-sport-footbeds-03.jpg

Super Feet Blue All Purpose (Thin)

Then I tried a set of these. Same issues as the previous pair. Arch much too high for my foot and tears just the same.

details.png

Then I was on the www.yyzkcanuck.com website reading the old tech articles while thinking that I need new liners to help fix the issue. I read that the Dr.Scholls Advantage Sport insoles seemed to work wonders as footbeds, so I thought I would see if I could find them.

They are no longer made, but while on the Dr.Scholls site I came across a new product (to me anyway).

Dr.Scholls Custom Fit Orthotic Inserts

http://www.footmapping.com/footmapping/home/index.jspa

tjgear_8548_091309_38710.jpg

Although they aren't 100% custom since it selects from a catalogue of pre-made 3/4 length footbeds, the machine does measure you to determine a number of items. The whole process takes about a minute and I did it twice to make sure it was the same both times.

Apparently I have low arches with high pressure. Ie: almost flat feet and I am heavy (215lbs). The machine selected CF420 for me and I bought them and took them home.

0001101740488_300X300.jpg

I slipped on a thin sock, similar to ladies nylon or Surefoot sock for molding, place the footbeds in, and voila! All pain gone on the right foot, with just a slight tightness in the left. This is understandable since my feet are L-26.5/R-26.0. I wore my boots around the house for an hour with no issues. I will still be seeing a boot fitter to stretch out the left boot or compress the liner slightly in the mid foot section, but it is like night and day. Not bad for $50 ($40 after rebate).

I can feel the end of the liner now with my toes and everything feels looser so I will need to have the liner molded to my foot a bit more, but the shell is almost perfect. I will see what happens when I actually get to ride them. They are sticky on the bottom and don't move in the liner. They have also locked my heel in tight like never before, so time will tell.

• 1 month later...

Rode for 4 hrs on Sunday and the boots are all sorted now. Due to my left foot being bigger, I don't tighten the boots as tight on the left as on the right.

Shin buckles are the same on boot sides and I have had no issues. I have been riding in "walk" mode and carving is starting to come more naturally. It was really slushy on Sunday, so when there is proper hero groom and it is cold, I will put them into "race" mode and let 'er rip!

Nice! I tried this machine out on the weekend at the local mall, it's pretty cool! And it was nice to know that I have normal arches and basically no pressure points - guess I might not have needed those Superfeet I bought, but they're comfy all the same.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm definitely considering getting these UPZ's. Being an old school 54 year old carver, should I even consider the Deeluxe Track 325's or 700's? I'm more of an all mountain cruiser than I used to be :rolleyes:

I would like to try the 325s, but my UPZ are just about perfect and getting better each day up.

I would like to try the 325s, but my UPZ are just about perfect and getting better each day up.

The 225 and the 325 (same shell) are pretty much the opposite boot in terms of footshape to the UPZ. That's coming from my bootfitter. UPZ wider toe box narrow heel. Deeluxe narrower toe box and mid with a wider heel. I can't speak to the Track 700 as I've never really seen one off someones foot.

If you want something softer try the RC-8 or ATB. Or beg, borrow, or buy a used set of Deeluxe SBs.

Dave

The 225 and the 325 (same shell) are pretty much the opposite boot in terms of footshape to the UPZ. That's coming from my bootfitter. UPZ wider toe box narrow heel. Deeluxe narrower toe box and mid with a wider heel. I can't speak to the Track 700 as I've never really seen one off someones foot.

If you want something softer try the RC-8 or ATB. Or beg, borrow, or buy a used set of Deeluxe SBs.

Dave

What about the Head boots? How do they fit in comparison to the UPZ?

What about the Head boots? How do they fit in comparison to the UPZ?

I've never tried Heads so I can't comment on them in regards to the UPZs. I'm going to buy some ATBs this year to replace my 225s for AM riding. The UPZs seem to work for my screwed up feet as well as can be expected so I'm sticking with what works from now on.

There's another thread running that says Heads are wider overall. A wide heel definitely won't work for me. Though if I had to say a wider heel wouldn't be bad as long as movement was still limited. I think a large part of my problem with the 225s was I couldn't keep my heel in one spot which irritated the bone spurs.

Dave

Actually another option to soften the RTRs or RC-10s is to replace the stock Flo-Liner with a thermofit liner. I'm running the Deeluxe 141 In my RTRs. The 141 is higher volume than the flo so I had to have a couple of areas punched out again. But the boot is softer and, for me anyways, even more comfortable than with the Flo.

The softening is mostly due to losing the plastic tongue from the liner. Changing to a stiffer shell tongue will give you similar stiffness to what you had before going to a thermo.

• 2 months later...

I just got some UPZ ATB, nice boots, only have two days in them, one BC, one at A Basin on corn. I'm relatively new to hardbooting, had been riding some modified Scarpa TX (At/tele boot). I picked these up for dedicated carvers, used them mostly unlocked (free mode). Nice boots, excellent quality, lots of nice features. I'd say they are prety soft, on par with a Head Stratus, but only because they are set up with the softest tongue (red). I believe they could be quitye stiff if the tongue were uprgraded.

Fit is long, I have the 8.5/9/9.5 shell and I wear a 13-14 street shoe, all of my AT/tele boots are Mondo 29.5-31. I was not able to wear the stock liner (8.5), getting some 9's as a replacement. During the fitting I tried on a bunch or UPZ liners and noticed that the ATB liner is the most comfortable and had he best heel hold and toe box. The liner is far better than previous models based on my limityed experience.

UPZ makes some nice boots.

I picked these up for dedicated carvers, used them mostly unlocked (free mode). I'd say they are prety soft, on par with a Head Stratus, but only because they are set up with the softest tongue (red). I believe they could be quitye stiff if the tongue were uprgraded.

UPZ makes some nice boots.

UPZ makes great boots! They'll ride a lot stiffer if you ride with them in "ride/locked" mode. I've tried to carve in my UPZ RC10's in "walk/unlocked" mode, and it is not ideal for carving, at least not for me. Just my .02

Well yeah, clearly they're gonna be stiffer locked, but then they'd be stiff :)

I'm still adjusting to being upright, lots of turns with a bent knee sorta made me "soft" ;)

I am in the process of gettin another pair of UPZ with the stiffer tongues (grey and black), gonna try those unlocked and see how that feels, then gradually work toward locking the boots out.

So, anyone ever play with the springs in the lock mode?

I've already got a pair of the ATBs on order with Dan for next season.

I'm planning to swap out the Flo liner for a Deeluxe 141 full wrap thermo, which will result in the boot being even softer. I've got two reasons for this the first is that liners with tongues cause me unbelivable pain on the sides of my shins; it feels like a muscle in the side of my shin (m. pereonus brevis maybe?) gets squished into the void between the edge of the tongue and the main body of the liner. The second is that the boots will be used for AM riding so I want something softer to suck up landings, abuse, and weird terrain.

I'm thinking it is going to feel like a Track 225 mounted with BTS. My 215 lbs should be able to flex the snot out of it. Looking forward to trying it out this winter.

Dave

I've already got a pair of the ATBs on order with Dan for next season.

I'm planning to swap out the Flo liner for a Deeluxe 141 full wrap thermo, which will result in the boot being even softer. I've got two reasons for this the first is that liners with tongues cause me unbelivable pain on the sides of my shins; it feels like a muscle in the side of my shin (m. pereonus brevis maybe?) gets squished into the void between the edge of the tongue and the main body of the liner. The second is that the boots will be used for AM riding so I want something softer to suck up landings, abuse, and weird terrain.

I bought my ATB's in the right shell size, but the liner was too short, so while I'm waiting for the right liner I am using some Scarpa Thermofit Wrap liners from my tele boots. I molded them to fit and they seen to be okay, a tad softer since they don't have a plastic tongue. I did get some pinching at the ankle on my back foot, but then I was riding them unlocked so it wasn't just the liners creasing...

The liner in the ATB's is much nicer than the liners in the RC, may be that I was only trying on older RC, though they all had the screen printed logos on the shells. I'd try the liner first, it was nice enough that I told Bolla I wanted a bigger set "no matter what" :)

I wish I was still out in CO, there's so much snow left for sliding, but alas I am stuck with heat and humidity for the rest of the summer :(

The liner in the ATB's is much nicer than the liners in the RC, may be that I was only trying on older RC.

Those ATB liners must be amazing. The liners in my RC's (once I carpet rode them for many hours so they completely molded to my feet) are very comfortable, and fit my feet like a glove.

...I'd try the liner first...

Yeah not happening. I've been down the road with liners with reinforced tongues, and this muscle gets so pinched that after a couple of days I can barely ride. It even hurts when the side of my shin bumps into something. Pretty weird but it seems to be what I've got to deal with. The full wrap thermos eliminate this to a huge degree.

Dace

It's interesting that the UPZ liners are causing you so much pain.I can wear mine fully buckled down hard virtually all day, and have no soreness or pain at all. Must boil down to different leg structure/anatomy. I'm glad you found a remedy in the full wrap thermos.

It's interesting that the UPZ liners are causing you so much pain.I can wear mine fully buckled down hard virtually all day, and have no soreness or pain at all. Must boil down to different leg structure/anatomy. I'm glad you found a remedy in the full wrap thermos.

Back in the mid-90's I first noticed it with a Raichle 121 same liner with a reinforced plastic tongue as the Flos. Then got out of riding in '97, when I came back to riding in in '07 the same pain was there. In '08 I picked up a pair of UPZ RTRs and found the same pain was occuring in them. I eventually realized it was on a muscle in the side if the shin that was located right on the edge of the tongue in the liner. Going to a full wrap pretty much eliminated this pain.

Other than that signle point of pain I personally love my RTRs. When they eventually die I'll have to look into a pair of RC10s.

Did you know that the tongue in the newer UPZ can be moved fore/aft relative the liner (attached with velcro) which allows you to change the flex point? This might help with making the liner fit.

I have been using wrap liners for tele and now boarding, and though they have some advantages in terms of comfort, I don't feel like they hold my heel as well.

I think this may be due in part to the flex point not being "natural", whereas in a wrap liner you are essentially bending a tube which can only crease vs the tongue liner which is seperate fron the sides which allows a more natural flex.

Just my .02$

Just scored a second pair of UPZ with an extra tongue, so now I have all three tongue stiffnesses :)

• 3 months later...

Picked up a pair of RC-10s about a month ago and had been concerned about mounting Fintechs because I'm mechanically retarded. I was hesitant about drilling stuff and putting t-nuts in - I preferred a boot that was pre-assembled.

Life itself made the decision for me - the only hardboot available in my size were the UPZ RC-10s. And without much time to spare before the off-season price jumped back up to full retail, I pulled the plug.

Much to my surprise: the boots arrived, I pulled out the liner, and low and behold - tnuts and a perfectly sized Fintec cable hole! Woo hoo:1luvu: Put those Fintechs in easy as could be. No tools, no mess, no regrets.