Note to New Members ×

2010 Upz Rc10

Bora20

UPZ makes great boots! They'll ride a lot stiffer if you ride with them in "ride/locked" mode. I've tried to carve in my UPZ RC10's in "walk/unlocked" mode, and it is not ideal for carving, at least not for me. Just my .02

What is this locked mode you speak of? You aren't talking about the lean adjustment are you?

Anyone else fiddle with the springs much? If I remember correctly the bottom smaller diameter spring is for forward flex adjustment and the bigger seemingly shorter spring is for rear flex? And these work on the principles similar to that of setting preload on a fork/shock right?...it would make sense but just want to confirm.

So many questions but any answers/clarification would be much appreciated! Thanks all!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this locked mode you speak of? You aren't talking about the lean adjustment are you?

Yes. On the UPZ website it is referred to as the "Ride/Relax Lever". And yes, once it is in the Ride position, it "locks" in one of four forward lean positions. On a side note, just to re-emphasize a helpful tip with these boots, it is way easier to put them on, and take them off, in the Relax mode.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just recently blew out my 2011 track 700s and thinking about getting rc10s. Are stiffer than the deeluxe track 700s?

Do you have the red tracks? I just tried the 12/13 model blue ones RC10 in a shop with the black medium tongue, they felt more dynamique and also softer as my red tracks. I tried mondo 27, the only pair they had. I definately can downsize at least one full size. What I noticed too: way much easier in and out of the boot, incredible heelhold, very much space in the front/toe box. Definately gonna buy these boots, just have to look and try the right size. I tried to do some dry carpet practices: my shins didn't like it, so I also could ride them with my shintronics.

• 1 month later...

Interesting that a good majority of you think or are afraid they may be too stiff. The cream rc-10's that I had I could flex those boots until the upper buckles would rub on the lower buckles. I have green rc-10's and blue rc-10's now. I ride the green ones with the grey tongues. I am getting the feeling that you think I weigh 250+ but I don't. I am about 6'2" and 180lbs. Isn't stiff and responsive equipment what we are after?

The boots are comfortable and take about three days to break in with the original liners. They are cold boots though, just wiggle your toes on the ride up and everything will be fine.

I just ordered a pair of blue rc-10's, I got them because i'm tired of breaking my boots. this season i have blown out my tract 700's, and have snapped two metal casts on the RAB. i heard that they were stiffer laterally to, and that is something i have been looking for. Are the stock liners moldable? are the liners any good? i'm leaving for training camp in june and i dont want any boot problems while i'm there. is there any parts that break more then others on the boot?

Edited by CHAINSAW

Have not had any issues with breaking anything on the boots. As was mentioned in this post-make certain that if any fasteners are loosened that you use removable thread locker. I has a screw come out of the cant adjuster and lost the disc.

The liners are flo liners and I feel they work just fine. Give three days (10-13 runs each day) to get to a more comfortable fit. The liners are thin and that gets you good control, but they can be cold boots.

I went a size down for 12/13 and it worked for me. I also feel that the green rc-10's were an improvement from the cream rc-10's. I think the plastic of the boot is more consistent in density and slightly more pliable than the creams. The tighter fit did also improve what I could feel was the liner moving within the boot, i.e. forward flex it would move up.

In the past I had; and still have, a pair of Raichle 123's. These boots were way too soft-but a great boot and the warmest "ski boot style boot" I have ever had. I got to the point with the 123 that in a toe side turn I could cause the instep buckle to come loose "pop" and then I would have to stop and refasten only to have it come loose again in the next toe side.

I could not say enough nice things about Dan@UPZ. I met him and his wife last year, his service and supp

They are cold boots though, just wiggle your toes on the ride up and everything will be fine.

Consider getting Boot Gloves. They are affordable, and they work. I love mine. They just slide on top of your boot, attach the velcro straps, and you're good to go. If you want to be really warm, there is a thin insulation footbed liner available too.

FC889D72-1534-4E25-A50D-87D66133AD53-3559-000001A05DDB4A1F.jpg

• 8 months later...

After riding Raichle since the late 90s Im in my first season in Rc10s. Still doing some tweaks due to my physical oddities. I'm riding them unlocked with power wraps. What I notice is I buckle them in the lodge and forget about them till I go in for lunch. Unheard of in my previous boots. The overall fit is so good while I was riding yesterday the top buckle on my back foot unhooked and I didn't bother to rebuckle it the rest of the day. I'm totally sold on UPZ just mad I waited so long.

• 3 weeks later...
So Hans what is your conclusion? Good or no! g

Have been riding my new green RC10 Virus boots with custommade softfoam Boot Doc liners with Bomber Intec heels for two days, locked in frontboot as straight as possible, backboot unlocked. Set up with also new Virus Powerlock III Intec bindings flat in the front binding and about 2 cm of lift in the backbinding: angles 84 front, 78 in the back. Virus Black Death III so called 'Slayer' version, custom made footbeds. Socks: boot doc compression socks (knee high).

Conclusion: very natural feel with freecarvingstyle of riding, no snow or ice in the boots (I wear my pants always over the two top bootbuckles), some shinpain on my right shin (I am regular): I think due to unlocked boot and I didn't close my two topbuckles on the tightest the first day. All and all: very happy with the boot due to more dynamic and natural feel

than my Deeluxe boots I have (I have both white and red 700 version boots). I will use these RC10 Virus boots only with my small Virus boards with intecbindings. I will keep using my Deeluxe 700 red with Strolz liners for my JJA raceboards because those boots are stiffer. Just experienced that the stiffer the boot, the more control you have in pushing your boots in riding racestyle (just my 2 cents).

RC10: fit, enough room for my toes, I always have problems to close the buckle over the midfoot, here also due to high forefoot. Has nothing to do with the boot. Will try them on with standard liners within two weeks to experience the difference in fit with my custom liners. Like the springsystem of the boot very much. No need to change this system. I can ride 3 degrees less steeper angles due to shorter solelength in comparison with my Deeluxe (both mondo 27).

Edited by Hans

• 2 months later...

Dear Hans

Am heading to Switzerland for the first time to Zermatt in May (odd time I know) and based on your and Corey's comments will be seriously looking at the UPZ at a shop that sell them with thermo liners (sportsoutlet).

Hoping to get back to the point I had with my raichle ski boots (buckle once per day, and only unbuckle at lunch and end of day). The deluxe 700s are a combination of heel-lift, shin bang (stripped all the skin off one leg), crushed toes and freezing feet.....they flex well but my feet just seem not so compatible with them (narrow heel, high arch, wide forefoot) so hoping the UPZ can solve all of these.....

Kip, obviously Im not Hans but will share my seasons experience with the RC10. All of the things you described above,

"shin bang (stripped all the skin off one leg), crushed toes and freezing feet.."
I experienced in deluxe boots for 10 years. Next to my Coiler Metal getting the UPZ was best equipment move I made. When I was at ECES I saw people with Full Tilt, Deluxe and other boots doing the unbuckle on the lift thing. I didnt say anything but I was like Man yer missing out. Now people all have different feet so I wont say they are for everyone, but they made my season so much more fun with warm comfortable feet for the first time in a decade. When I was at Zermatt I took the day and rode over to Cervinia for lunch. I dont know if the snow pack will allow for that this time of the year but it was good riding over there compared to the Zermatt side. Just watch the time cause it can take a while to get back and if you miss that last tram to the Klein your in trouble. Let us know how your trip goes.

Dear Hans

Am heading to Switzerland for the first time to Zermatt in May (odd time I know) and based on your and Corey's comments will be seriously looking at the UPZ at a shop that sell them with thermo liners (sportsoutlet).

Hoping to get back to the point I had with my raichle ski boots (buckle once per day, and only unbuckle at lunch and end of day). The deluxe 700s are a combination of heel-lift, shin bang (stripped all the skin off one leg), crushed toes and freezing feet.....they flex well but my feet just seem not so compatible with them (narrow heel, high arch, wide forefoot) so hoping the UPZ can solve all of these.....

You can solve all your fitting/feet problems with a customized foamliner and custom footbeds. Much cheaper as a whole new boot. I ride the Deeluxe Track 700 and UPZ RC10 both with custom foamed liners and I swear by those liners (Deeluxe - Strolz liner, UPZ - Bootdoc liner). Yes the new UPZ's have a better fitted standard liner with custom inserts for the heelfit. The boot is also wider in the front as a Deeluxe. I too have a high arch, and I have a little problem in the beginning of the day to close my boots with the arch buckle. I got the tip of my austria appartment rentlord to let the buckles as loose as they could be for the first downhill slope to give my feet the chance to have some blood: it helped a lot. No cramp in the feet and I could blast the whole day.

I've always used custom footbeds, and used the self molding raichle skiboots before thermofits of the indys, but I suspect the shell of the deeluxe is a bit off my shape of foot so fingers crossed the upz will deliver!

From what I know its just the glacier not the Italian side....any snow better than none!

• 2 weeks later...

So turns out my decision was made for me; inspecting my deluxe indys in the shop, I have cracked both heels and was pretty fortunate that I didn't tear the entire heel right off either boot while riding, so the boots are dead, already binned them. Measured my feet and turns out I am actually a 28/28.5, but anyhow, have squeezed my feet into UPZ 27s with Palau liners....fit is definitely pretty tight around the ankles thanks to the shape of the shell.

Will enjoy riding them, the flex and the boot seems very well put together; bearing in mind some of the comments from the past, seems all screws/hardware is locktited in place; because the boot is so small the buckles over the ankle don't seem to collide. The flexing of the boot seems initially a little stiffer than the indy, which was a surprise to me, as I expected it to be softer, perhaps riding might be different, and it might be due to the powerstrap and incredibly tight fit currently.

And after riding in awesome winter conditions at Zermatt (on the glacier it is fresh powder ankle deep each day, and perfect groomed with ZERO people) it turns out that 27 is just too small, so I switch to a 28 shell and kept the 27 liners.

I am only just a 27.5 in the Indy/700 with all the foam in the liner packed out, a stretched shell and I would have guessed I could fit into the UPZ 27 also, but it isn't to be; the way the UPZ tongue works it is more difficult to ride the boot with the buckles over the toe/instep very loose, really the boot is designed quite clearly to have a specific range of tightness across the foot area as the tongue is secured in 2 places, and so other people may have the same issue I did, a wider, high forefoot and you may need to go up a size (I am a 28.2 approx. foot length) for one boot or the other. Even with moulding the liner.

The performance of the boot is very good, the flex is a little softer than the BTS medium spring initially, and a little firmer as you go from mid flex to fully flexed; I did not have any issues with the buckles colliding nor did the boot appear to bottom out. The heel hold is very good, and the weight of the boot is also very light as well once you go with moulded liners.

All the screws I meddled with are locktited in from the factory, and the heels are now T bolted in place, apparently this is now standard. The boots appear very well made, and they do still have that same feel like a Raichle of being elevated in the heel, I am not sure there is an easy way to adjust this, cannot do much with the Indy/700 either.

Interestingly the heel piece is soft rubber, but the toe piece is hard plastic, so I guess that must reduce the sideways flex a little, and also makes the boot probably a little slippery walking around perhaps, coming from ski boots it's not an issue.

All in all, I am very happy, the hardware looks a bit better than the earlier generation Indys I had, and hopefully I won't crack the heels on these boots; getting the heel to engage in the bomber TD3s is not the easiest thing to do although it gets easier with practise.

• 8 months later...

Got green RC10s this winter, used RC8s for the last 2 seasons. The new floliner version feels nice, more snug and tougher than my older RC8s, but that's all i can tell you so far - still need to get the RC10s punched out to accomodate my duck feet (Deeluxe are not an option for me at all)

Edited by iLikeSnow

• 11 months later...

I am still struggling with terrible pain in my ankle area. It feels like the boney parts are making contact with plastic. And feeling around the liner, it seems like there is little to no padding in those areas. Thinking a different liner might solve the issues. What liners are the best for these UPZ RC10 shells?