Note to New Members ×

Skwal Riders General Discussion

mikel45

- BTS system on boots, is it also advantageous for skwaling?

Dunno. RAB doesn't seem to hurt, but doesn't help much either.

- skwal board limited to groomed slopes, true / false?

false. Some skwals ride better offpiste and in the crud, though.

- what is approx. binding distance between front foot and back?

4cm (about an inch and three quarters) rear toe to front heel.

entertaining the idea of mounting skiboard bindings on regular parabolic ski and / or snowboard - how crazy is that?

VERY... I seriously doubt that those options would be stiff enough.

My skwal eats the crud and lumpy runs for a late afternoon snack... It also tears the groom up too.

BTS?!? I didn't like it on my boots, but that was on my boards, not the skwal... so I don't know.

I didn't notice any advantage with the BTS on skwal. What was good was trying downhill boots which were more responsive with greater edging power. It wasn't weird like using them on an alpine board.

I find the Volkl and mPride too stiff off the groomers. In powder I eventually nose down and get launched, but they are great in corn snow.

39cm (15 1/4 to 15 1/2 inches) between binding centres. Much closer is the norm, which I will try. The Volkl came mounted (no inserts) and I am set up the same on the mPride until I get used to it.

28iyftc.jpg

I'm still thinking about mounting these bindings on 193 cm twin-tip freestyle ski. Not so much to do carving, but to start to get the feel of skiing on one single board. A proper skwal and binding are planned for the future. Anyways, any suggestions how to position the bindings on the board. I do have a "centre of sidecut" marking on the ski. Should I position the binding equally on either side of this line or position my body centre of gravity?

by-the-way, thanks for all the great input

Not a bad idea. Mine are equally spaced from the midpoint. You might want to glue your binding screws in since they will likely be outside any binding plate reinforcement. You could also drill through and put inserts in more than one position. What are the bindings?

Oddly enough, I was thinking along the same lines (just for laffs); I have a bunch of hard, hard, hard skis lying about that I never use. Unfortunately, they are also old, and have sidecuts in the 50-70m range, so that plan's kiboshed.

you might want to glue your binding screws in since they will likely be outside any binding plate reinforcement. You could also drill through and put inserts in more than one position. What are the bindings?

Whoa ..... thanks for the heads up Wantok. It was just last night that I observed the plate under the base (lighting was just right), thing was I couldn't figure it's purpose. You're right on, inserts would be placed outside of plate. You just saved me some headache or worst. Thanks again.

Gee, I think these binding might be early 90's "Cateks". They were supplying Jason Levinthal's "Line" boards back then. Which by the way are the skis I'm thinking of using as a skwal – a pair of "Line" 193cm Ostness Dragon. Probably one of the first twin tip ski ever on the market.

Ummm....yeah. I DO have a question. A very simple one, at that:

What the heck is a "Skwal"??? I've never heard of it...not that that means anything...but seriously, what the dickens is it???

From the name alone, I picture in my mind some sort of mono-ski with a swallow tail ("Sk" + "wal" )...but I'm sure that can't be right. Is it like some new fangled "Snurfer" except with a binding??? I have never even seen a picture of one. What is it....please....the suspense is killing me!!

Gravity IS Life.

Take this to "Off-Topic".This is a snowboard forum.

Respectfully, this thread doesn't seem to be "off-topic" – presently a few of us are discussing alpine carving using hardboots on a skwal board. I'm assuming you are taking offence to the mention of the Ostness Dragon ski. An interesting factoid about this ski is that it contains the best assets of a snowboard. Equal height tip and tail, center mounting, symmetric forgiving flex, deep sidecut and even uses snowboard dimensions. Kind of sounds like the characteristics of a skwal to me.

Respectfully, this thread doesn't seem to be "off-topic" – presently a few of us are discussing alpine carving using hardboots on a skwal board. I'm assuming you are taking offence to the mention of the Ostness Dragon ski. An interesting factoid about this board is that it contains the best assets of a snowboard. Equal height tip and tail, center mounting, symmetric forgiving flex, deep sidecut and even use snowboard dimensions. Kind of sounds like the characteristics of a skwal to me. I have my fingers crossed that there will still be decent snow here next week [March break] for planned trip. Glad to hear snowman is still with ya – raise another!

Sorry, and I do agree this topic is not "OT". Actually I was a bit pissed about another thread after getting back from the bar last night and took it out on here. Others would argue that SB carving is "OT" and I was trying to bring the attention that this is a carving forum and gear doesn't change that unless for somereason you are on a Soft setup. Sorry for the unexpected surprise. But while I am here and it is up for discussion. The fact that the "hardboot" seems to over-ride and even negate the presence of a board according to those who've been hear longer. I'm a bit confused when it comes to the "mission statement" because this should be (just by on slope percentages and what the statement claims) primarily a skiers forum since of the hardboot community skiers way out number boarders.

I personally don't consider a skwal to be a snowboard (or mono ski) anymore than I would a slalom water ski to be a wakeboard (no offense, just basing it on the full on forward stance rather than the number of planks). [Notice I didn't say, "a skwal is not a board", but I consider it equal to the comparison of a wakeboard vs. a slalom waterski] I guess my question is this. "is this a hardboot forum or a carving forum?" If it is based on the boots I think I'll start a Boxers carving forum and if you wear Briefs it's off topic because you aren't wearing the gear.;) Again, my bad on pissing on your thread.:o

You are a dip **** of epic porportions. Put down the cocktail and go back and reread exactly what I said about Skwal. Then, pick up your cocktail and choke on it.:)

Think Snow!

you owe me a new keyboard. just spit coffee all over this one. :lol::lol::lol::lol: