Note to New Members ×

Hot Rod Race Wax Reviews

t.stoughton

Since many riders and skiers use Rays Way products it was necessary to test Rays products with HRRW. In addition, I sent Ray a shop sample of HRRW to test as well. Red Oak Development Llc., HotRodRaceWax.com, and Ray’s Way Alpine Tuneing ar not affiliated and do not have any business agreements or partnerships.

The test equipment has been:

179 Coiler RC Metal

177 Coiler AM Metal

184 Donek WC

184 Donek GS Rec

184 Donek GS Rec Proto Type(s)

174 Dynastar Ledged Split Tail

Volkl All Mountain Skis

This last in the season the principle subjective test has been is it sticky since HRRW is way out of its temp zone. Standard recreational application of HRRW with a heavy layer has been less than the perfect glide we are use too. To get different results you have to do things differently. I had scraped each of these down to the base. When possible I place each board in the sun to pre warm and placed HRRW in my pocket to pre warm as well.

I used the coarse fabric and completed a final base cleaning and removed any micro base / P-tex hairs from the base of each board. I did not use the HI-Glide product during this evaluation.

I then cold rubbed, pushing very firmly and applied a thin to modest layer of HRRW, but clearly "NOT" a heavy layer. I covered the entire base surface and edged twice pressing very firmly. Next, using Rays Way Wax WHIZard I worked the wax back and forth, tip to tail pressing very firm to hard. The layer of HRRW responded very nicely and appeared to move into the base structure. In addition, the wax WHIZard created a very smooth and even surface. I made one final pass tip to tail starting at one edge, center, and final edge. The final pass created a micro structure and a final polish.

The ugliest quick application came this last weekend to a pair of skis. While in the Loveland Ski Resort parking lot I did a very quick cold rub on cold skis while it was snowing. Was not pretty but the wax WHIZard smoothed out the high spots and once again produced a very good finish. The snow conditions were dreadful with half frozen slush under heavy wet soft fresh snow, maybe 1 to 1 1/2". The skier that I was with me commented he did not have any sticky spots and was expecting everything to sticky and slow. He was making turns and moving down the mountain very nicely.

Results: Checking for the dreaded sticky glide in spring wet conditions was good. My opinion HRRW was better than an "All -Temp" wax. The glide was smooth but the snow was very, very slow so no one was moving fast yet were we still passing other riders while making turns. We did not have the opinion to create and use a glide track. Heavy wet spring snow is notoriously slow. These conditions slowed down HRRW but the glide was still good with the thin layer polished with the WHIZard.

The thin to modest layer of HRRW and Wax WHIZard has also been tested at A-Basin. Cold mornings produced the fastest glide conditions. As the temp warmed well above the recommended temp the wax slowed down but was still better that what other people were using. This was determined by observing other riders and passing or catching them. The wax WHIZard and HRRW are a very good combination from our evaluation perspective. Hopefully, next fall we will be able to work with Loveland Race Club to perform a “controlled” glide test. We have completed other tests with Loveland Race Club and are looking forward to working with C.B. next season.

Conclusion: We will be adjusting or tips and tricks card to include the Wax WHIZard for soft snow conditions and for racing due to the highly polished surface the product produces with HRRW. http://www.alpineskituning.com/index.htm

* This review of Wax WHIZard with Hot Rod Race Wax will also be posted in the HRRW thread as here in the review section.

I raced again this year at the NASTAR Finals in Winter Park. Conditons were interesting with intermittant sun and snow. The temperatures were higher than the specified range for the wax, but I used it anyway. The start was very flat, where the wax is critical. I believe the wax helped me win my class by 2 and 3 seconds over the 2nd place racer. Thanks Tony for the great product.

Arne

CONGRADULATIONS !!!:biggthump Two years running NASTAR National Champion defends his title! Very cool.

Great job from all of us a Red Oak Development Llc. and HotRodRaceWax.com We are looking forward to sponsering you next year as well!

How many applications would you typically get out of your 50 g bar?

Great question! If you apply like Ink is you can get a full season from one 50gm product. If you make a mess and hot wax it all over the place you will need 2 or 3 pieces. The wear factor of HRRW is extremely good so you typically only need to touch up the closest area to the edge. Cold rub and a fast pass with an iron.

If you use a Wax WHIZard there is virtually no waste and should get a full season for 1 50gm HRRW. :D

• 7 months later...
Hot Rod Race Wax by Red Oak Development Llc.

A big thanks to Fin for approving us to make our company announcement on “Bomber Online.” Home of Hot Rod Race Wax is now available via online shopping. Check out our website www.HotRodRaceWax.com Don’t believe us that it’s a great product... read the testimonials! http://www.rod-llc.com/Testimonials.html

:):)You are welcome,stough!:)

I posted a review late last season of the hotrod wax but had not used it on the Diablo 210 yet with a fully applied coat and was impressed even then at Lovey.

Yesterday I rode the Diablo at Lookout in temps in the high teens on fresh snow and soft groomed.This time I had applied a full coat with more time taken to get the right coverage the entire length.

The result was a super nice glide with no indication of wear after about seven carving runs and one down the chopped powder front face at Lookout.

It took a fair amount of the puck to cover the big stick(about half the 30 gram puck)by hand rubbing and then lightly passing it along the iron to get a little more coverage, but the durability of the application combined with the the noticably fast glide it results in, seems to make it well worth the cost.I'll be up today for more fun on the same coat and will be doing many more runs than yesterday so I will get to see more about the durability.

• 3 weeks later...

Have to agree the HRRW is the way to go for me! I knew it worked well in Pennsylvania conditions (posted above) but recently had the oppertunity to try it in Colorado, powda.

Fast, (too fast for me) and lasts like crazy in those conditions :) :).

• 3 weeks later...

and did an experiment on my G-Force171 by ironing in a thin layer of hard/cold wax and the rubbing hotrod in while it was still warm.Then ironed that in and lightly scraped and brushed.Fastest this board has ever glided in wet snow in this temp range.Noticable low friction feel to the glide in varied conditions including wind blown pow,wet and set (not Cascade wet but pretty wet) and even some light crust caused by a few minutes of freezing rain.All in the same day.The board slid over all of it extremely well.

This wax seems like it has a pretty specific temp range not too cold/not too warm,but within the range it performs extremely well.

ps,in a previous post I over estimated how much hotrod it took to wax my 210,saying that it took about half a 30 gram bar.It was really less than a third.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

Thanks for the feed back. HRRW actually has a fairly large range due to the Teflon. The Teflon particulate is acctual very temperature dynamic. We have seen a decrease in performance in 3 limited conditions:

1. Super wet spring conditions when the base wax material is way out of range and out side the warm side of the glide temp range. This is caused by the wax and wet conditions. We call this Water Skiing!

2. Super cold fresh blowing snow at the very bottom of our range. Typically, nothing is gliding when it is that cold, -12F or less. Teflon has glide limitations well lower to less than -50F. We are currently working on a totally new product designed for World Cup Racing which should still glide in that super cold, super hard, super sharp snow conditions. If sucessful it will be the only product in the world to have this capibility.

3. Investigaing the last very unique issue and this only effects less than 1% of applications ie users / customers. Were looking into it...

If you find that HRRW is not up to snuff it is probably from 2 conditions. Either over heating / smoking the wax which destroys it, or old material. HRRW like all waxs have a shelf life. Please see our website for the latest Tip and Tricks. We now recommend using the Wax Wizard as a final step to polish the base. FAST and no waste!

www.HOTRODRACEWAX.com

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the over-pour of the Super Wet Base Wax. I used it with the HRRW and the Wax Wizard in accordance with your instructions. Very fast! I've used it on powder, ice, and groomed piste between 18 and 32 degrees. My home mountain is icy right now and wax jobs don't last too long on that stuff. I think I have 4 days on this wax and I applied it very thin. I'll give it a warm rub before I go up tomorrow evening for some twilight riding. :biggthump

I just finished waxing 2 sticks using the wax wizard kit/method, nice Idea JD, and way to go Tony for combining the Hot Rod and the Wax Wizard in one kit.

For those of you concerned about waste, there is none using this method, and you actually use very little of the product with the new method. Cannot wait to see how the polishing method works for glide tomorrow. I will update as to wear and glide in the next few days.

mario

Did a USASA race series this past weekend and used the same method as Big Mario. I'm pretty sure I have an all temp wax which seems to work better than the dominator wax I've used the last 10 years.

I've been using the wax-wizard method for 7+ years and Tony's Hot Rod wax seems to last longer than the other waxes I've been using.

Used the Wax Wizard to test the ROD Super Wet base wax alone. The stuff was flying on a beautiful day, about 22*F with sun shining. The Wax Wizard was way easy to apply the wax and absolutely no wasted wax. Next test will be Super Wet underneath and Hot Rod on top for two days at SES.

Ink

• 2 weeks later...

I was waiting to get 2 days on the same board and after 2 weeks it finally happened. As far as glide goes, scary fast in temps ranging in the low single digets to low 30's. I know that is not a quantifiable term, but I was out for fun and not running gates so you will have to take my word for it. I rode the following boards: 186 f2 speedster, 185 virus spartan evo, and a 184 Donek gs. None of the boards showed a need for a rewax after one day, nor did the donek or the f2 after 2, I still have only one day on the virus since the last waxing. The Virus and the Donek where both ridden on firmish colorado hero groom, and the f2 was ridden on firm groom with 6" fresh on top, and on a soft groom the following day. Hot Rod still wears well even when using significantly less material when using the wax wizard.

mario

During the last cold spell several weeks ago (before SES) I had the opportunity to test the HRRW on two different boards. The temperature varied from -4F at the bottom to an estimated -10F at the top of Loveland Basin (10,800 to 12,000 feet elevation). Both boards were prepared the same, a warm rub on with a wax wizzard rub in. The first board tested was a prototype Donek 183 with the new super glide base, which is designed to reduce static build up. This board ran very well on the groomed snow at these temperatures. There was some sticking on the soft wind blown snow. The second board tested was my F2 Speedster 186. This board was slightly slower on the groomed snow, and did not want to break loose on the soft wind blown snow at all.

To summarize, HRRW works in cold temps to about -10F and the super glide base is noticably faster in these condtions.

Thanks Tony for the chance to test these products. Keep up the good work.

:flamethro

• 8 months later...

Plum is the latest release from Red Oak. Arnie had requested a warmer version of HotRodRaceWax, so here it is. Like original Hot Rod it is a "Hyper Optimized Teflon", product. Race glides start at 32F and run down to 18F. Like HRRW we recommend using the Wax Wizard with Plum. Plum should be ideal for West Coast, and early / late Rockies / East Coast.

fyi... To everyone out there... If your in a rush and can not fire up the hot iron, try warm rubbing a thin layer and polishing with the Wax Wizard. I did and the glide was great. I was on Plum, last week 10/19 with Arnie at Loveland.

• 2 weeks later...

From all the reviews it looks like worth to try it. I just ordered 50g which cost me $104 shipped to Canada and will try it out. Although it may look expensive, but if it lasts so long and can be used in a variety of conditions it may be worth on the long run. I have 5 boards where only 2 really count and intend to use this supoer wax on only those two boards. My season can not start before mid January, so may review may not come too soon.

Andrew

I tested the Plum wax at Loveland last week. I was glad that my new boots have good treads because you need it to slow down in the lift maze and when getting off the lift. This wax was very fast across the flats. Using the mytracks on my phone, I hit 49.3 mph on Home Run near the bottom.

The temperature started at 14F and warmed to 23F. At these temps the regular HHRW would run fine, but so did this warmer plum wax. I hope to test the upper range of the wax tomorrow. Thanks Tony for the chance to test another great wax.

:flamethro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Been out of business for years. I snapped up one of Bola`s last pucks of plum a few years ago. good luck finding any, most of the original Lovey crew has a stash we were given for testing, but we ain't sharing, not even amongst ourselves

Mario

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1