Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

@ 18-20

<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_PK1mBUaM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_PK1mBUaM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>

This board has 6 holes perside straight line

The 3 screws per bracket => 6 holes perside triangle shape - Older Version

The 2 screws per bracket => 4 holes perside Newer version, seen alot on Black Top KST

These seem to be for the new, 2-hole bracket, allowing for entire setup to be mounterd further forward or back? Same idea as the multiple inserts for standard bindings...

<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcoZPniRa4c&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcoZPniRa4c&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>

These seem to be for the new, 2-hole bracket, allowing for entire setup to be mounterd further forward or back? Same idea as the multiple inserts for standard bindings...

guessing regular and goofy hangls with the original brackets a single pack for that setup is indeed 2 holes unless you use ski screws then I'd use all the holes for the bracket

post-109-141842303127_thumb.jpg

Just a quick crop from the vid, for those who wouldn't believe the long front extensions had dampener below. I'm shure that Apex has something similar, if not a big chunk of neoprene that I speculated before...

YOU were correct. :biggthump It was not for advertisement :o

I would like to show you more of the mechanism. That will have to wait. Check out the videos for some strong hints.

Keep in mind, there are multiple systems using Tinkler plates. They are not the same. Mike works with others to build what works with their systems. Got an idea? Money to spend? Mike will be happy to work with you to build out your ideas. Warning, proto types are not cheap.

Still waiting for anyone to commit tinkler vs apex less than two weeks to decide. :boxing_sm

I know my favorite. Unfortunately there are allot of factors in addition to the plates. I.E. Riders??

My hope is a US PGS rider on the podium. Then it is automatically a Tinkler plate on the podium. ;)

They have their work cut out. Ben has been hot along with several Canadian riders. Yes, very exciting.

If the weather doesn't turn around and the and hay bales start poking out John Deere or McCormick might have to come up with some new device ! Thousands of spectators turned away from boarding events due to instability of viewing area bummer for those traveling a distance to view friends in event.

From a purely mechanical point of view, in theory the Apex should work better because it has almost no footprint on the board. As far as I can tell, it basically contacts the board at two lines (bars), so the rest of the board is allowed to flex naturally. The rear bar appears to be fixed and the front bar appears to be able to slide or roll in a slot. Great concept.

Jack, I had formed the opposite view of the Apex i.e. fixed, pivoting front rod, with rear rod pivoting and sliding/rolling in a slot.

Do you believe there is an advantage to fixing rear?

I note that the photos of the F2 Conshox plate http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=287268&postcount=33 shows it attached with front fixed, though I can see no structural reason why it couldn't be attached the other way.

The Karl plate appears to have predated the Apex plate in concept. It also has two narrow attachment plates across the snowboard, but I cannot tell whether both pivot points also float, or just front, or just rear.

Jack, I had formed the opposite view of the Apex i.e. fixed, pivoting front rod, with rear rod pivoting and sliding/rolling in a slot.

Do you believe there is an advantage to fixing rear?

The hits to the board and rider come from the front of the board, so the front should be floating. This is how WC racers set up their Vist plates. Fixing the front and floating the rear will do something, but it won't be as effective. Consider mountain bikes. If you couldn't afford a full-suspension bike, would you rather have only the front or rear suspension?

I note that the photos of the F2 Conshox plate http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=287268&postcount=33 shows it attached with front fixed

user error?

There are even very good riders who set up their Vists differently. I think it is also a matter of your riding style and preferences. Some fix the middle on the Vist and let front and rear float.

I think the important thing with the "new" plates is that they can compensate or increase certain aspects of your individual riding style. See the different setups for Anderson and Lambert or Karl´s plate which doesn´t suit Grabner supposedly.

Some riders are extremely centered. Others tend to bend their upper body more and so have more pressure on the front, etc.

Plates can help in various ways.

There are even very good riders who set up their Vists differently. I think it is also a matter of your riding style and preferences. Some fix the middle on the Vist and let front and rear float.

I have heard of that too, but I've never heard of racers fixing the front....?