Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

I love this thread and it's a good thing to get people thinking, but this is a s%$t idea

Plate system PCT/CH1983/000039 DAMPING DEVICE FOR SKIES 13-Oct-83 8-Oct-03 this is the "Derby Flex" patent/QUOTE]. I live in England, very close to the border of Scotland and the last thing we need is damper sky's.

Bryan, without giving away secrets what types of mods are needed on the hangls, is it reversible or is it destructive to some of the parts?

interested but I just want to know what I'm getting into.

second question, is there a weight reduction?

No, you can't go back. Removes material. Reduces weight - Allot!!

One riders interference is another riders improvement :confused::eplus2::biggthump

Currently in reference to the Olympics, it is about what helps a particular athlete do his/her best.

It is over simplification to say. Lighter is the best. Flexing with the board is the best, isolation or decoupling is the best. There are plenty of ideas and concepts. Most have been around a while.

It is the blending, tuning and proper application of these concepts that creates the winnning magic!!

We are a long way from the end.

No longer in production, but given the popularity of plate systems now, I wonder why this wasn't more popular before?

Because it was different.

We like to think we are open to change.

Most are not until it has become accepted.

Time and time again.

Thanks to those adding photos and good quality comment in keeping this thread productive and valid.

Time and time again.

Thanks to those adding photos and good quality comment in keeping this thread productive and valid.

As a tinkerer myself, I have been surprised to find how many 'great ideas',particularly in cycling, were thought up half a century ago.

Ask a patent lawyer. I think you have asked the correct question but until now everyone has tried to make a board do what their device desires rather than allow the board to do what it is designed to do.Reading through many of the previously posted links on patents I am left with the conclusion that the hardware and devices do "something" rather than allow the board to do it's thing uninterupted . Less is more!

Most of the patents linked above work to modify the boards flex. . . there are a couple though that talk about allowing the board to flex naturally and not induce a flat spot under the boot/binding. I forgot which one this was though.

wayyyyyyy too much reading (to do again)

I still find the Luccio's patents and a couple others ones interesting.

If you click on the "images" button, it takes you to a scan of the actual patent and you can flip through them a page at a time, including drawings.

I also love to read what other patents the inventor thought were relevant. . .

And Where can I get them..

Can some one round up what will work just using the 4 hole mounting pattern that a board already has...

need the links, since I am not in tune with all the options that are out there that will work with just the 4 hole..

Will S-Flex work with 4 hole and TD3's.. Vist? Apex?

Never needed them but now Im interested in buying something a slappin them on and see what its all about..

Just one more thing to buy..

Whats next boot sole shocks, with ohlins dampening.. Steering dampers..

RSS

I would formulate that Vist can be installed to 4X4 pattern.

Sflex works with 4x4 but it will shorten available stance area by 4cm, so if you dont have paly enough that can be problem.

Gerab works also with 4x4 without problems it just needs looong screws

Shread, i would recommend Vist for testing, they give best bang for buck

"Sflex works with 4x4 but it will shorten available stance area by 4cm, so if you dont have paly enough that can be problem."

SFlex requires a minimum of 5 rows of inserts. That said, they are perhaps the best option for non-racing use given issues of weight and size.

"Gerab works also with 4x4 without problems it just needs looong screws"

While Rabanser may have a set or two of these for sale, I don't know that they are actively producing Gerab plates at this time. The link to the Gerab site has been down for quite a while.

Really? I would think that Alpine riders would be the first to try different things from the get-go. The boards themselves are different enough.

Where can I get them..

need the links, since I am not in tune with all the options that are out there that will work with just the 4 hole..

VIST:

http://www.hardbooter.com/Vist_Plate_for_Alpine_Snowboard_p/vist.htm

F2 S-Flex:

http://www.yyzcanuck.com/store/F2-S-Flex.html

Bola sells Hangl plates and the Vist plate, here's the website, but it isn't an online store:

http://www.allboardssports.com/

Really? I would think that Alpine riders would be the first to try different things from the get-go. The boards themselves are different enough.

Yes, I agree, we are certainly outside the norm, even being willing to try alpine, this I agree. Within that subset, the majority, still prefer to wait until something has the approval of "The Group" prior to getting on board. It is largely human nature. On the flip side there probably a high percentage of those willing to seek new and innovative concepts, take risks, push the envelople within this group. It is however, IMO a fairly small percentage none the less. I have a long list of examples. Yet I would prefer to stay on topic with this thread of "Plates". Perhaps another thread?

Original quote was in regards to the popularity of the "Con Shox" Plate.

Time and time again.

As a tinkerer myself, I have been surprised to find how many 'great ideas',particularly in cycling, were thought up half a century ago.

Indeed. I have had so many folks say "My ideas is to do a90qwerq", I have to be the bearer of bad news. "Been Done" 15 years ago.

Best example is the rotating binding plate. Will these guys never learn? Spend their retirement to develope something they like, only to learn 4 companies prior to them have come and gone. Out of business. Oh well.

Dr.s are the best. They have enough money to make it to production. Many of the greatest flops have been backed by Dr.s. For a collector they are the best!!! PS, on the flip side they have come up with some brilliant ideas too.

Derby Flex comes to mind. Ski Bindings that work. Etc.

Having directly compared the 167 LLB to the Madd BX 168 the similarities blew me away and allowed me to let go of the madd with minimal regret.

The Madd is lighter, 1 cm narrower, and a good bit snappier than the very damp Kildyflex. Being lighter & snappier the Madd rules in the bumps. The LLB has a bit tighter radius and no taper but it holds a carve on the groom with stiff stepin binders that match the BX. The 24/7 board under the plate is a nothing special, just a typical med flex freeride board.

The only other freeride board I've ridden with the carving power of a CF butterfly is the 173 Identity AM with tip-tail carbon rods in the core.

I am planning to put the Kildyflex plate on the 173 Id to gain some effective edge, better float and the benifits of a blended scr. This should also result in better carve initiation as the tip/tail of the carbon rod equipped 173 is stiffer than the 24/7 or even the madd beyond the CF plate.

Will post pics & review when I gear up to make the swap.

I am planning to put the Kildyflex plate on the 173 Id to gain some effective edge, better float and the benifits of a blended scr. This should also result in better carve initiation as the tip/tail of the carbon rod equipped 173 is stiffer than the 24/7 or even the madd beyond the CF plate.

Will post pics & review when I gear up to make the swap.

how would a plate of any type change your effective edge?