Note to New Members ×

BENT or BROKEN

www.oldsnowboards.com

• 5 years later...

reviving this old chestnut with a broken donek rev 185 .

board fractured at the upm plate mount insert on a toe side carve resulting in a broken right leg ,  tibia & fibula  below the boot cuff.

photo credit ,  joshua esquivel

image.thumb.png.1c2022987c1c65650270e7d255ca32a2.png

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, nitro said:

reviving this old chestnut with a broken donek rev 185 .

board fractured at the upm plate mount insert on a toe side carve resulting in a broken right leg ,  tibia & fibula  below the boot cuff.

photo credit ,  joshua esquivel

image.thumb.png.1c2022987c1c65650270e7d255ca32a2.png

Shit so sorry to hear this. 😭😭  

May I ask how many days the board had done? 

• Thanks 1

CrapNitro, so sorry.

Same event, better outcome. One of my riders turned her 174 Kessler GS board into a 132 SL.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0_VUYZ1iw36TmUWrBHKwW8tew#Palo_Cedro_&_Redding 

In case the video won’t play. She’s going about 20 mph. The front of her board is in her right hand.

Good to be young I guess....

6D2843B1-B9EB-42C0-AC62-F1E0153CD181.thumb.png.26f048bb68f278f8e7f227d7473758e5.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, nitro said:

Dammit man... I hope your healing goes well. 

#@*! UPM inserts!

Edited by lonbordin
Better mods?
  • Thanks 1

Like @daveo interested to know year of manufacture, days of riding estimate, any serious crashes? 

I had a 2012 Coiler NSR 180cm fail at its' outermost nose UPM inserts, fortunately not catastrophically, but a noticeable crimp became visible. Bruce Varsava told me that every extra insert creates an extra weak point so it's an issue board makers are aware of. AllFlex mounts are in even thinner parts of the board core. Given both of those things builders are now presumably reinforcing those areas to reduce the failure risk. On that basis, and that of material use fatigue, older boards with plate specific inserts are presumably at greater risk and should be inspected regularly. 

Thanks for posting @nitro and hoping your recovery goes smoothly and quickly.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Like @daveo interested to know year of manufacture, days of riding estimate, any serious crashes? 

9 hours ago, daveo said:

Shit so sorry to hear this. 😭😭  

May I ask how many days the board had done? 

I purchased my 185 rev new from donek mid season 2014 

I estimate this board had around 40 -50 days of riding with plenty of vertical feet,one season it stayed on the shelf with zero days.

No real serious crashes , I do remember a hand full of butt checks & belly burn outs before I got my stance & edges all dialed in.

I should mention am a big guy 220 lbs. 

my affection for the upm mounted af plate bit me in the ass, I should have stuck with the vist or f plate  & never got a board with upm inserts at my weight.

I just so glad I didnt break my neck , also I need to mention that everyone involved from ski patrol to the hospital doctors & staff were excellent in handling my broken leg. 

thanks to all of you guys for the good vibes ! its gonna be a tough summer

Sorry to hear about this.  Where were you riding and what were the snow conditions?  I am big too, and always know that I have to keep a bit in reserve because gear is really not designed for big guys and the torques that we put on them.  Did you hit some soft snow and auger into it?

• Thanks 1

My rider weighs about 120# soaking wet. Board was 3 years old. Bought it used off Bomber, 1 1/2 years ago, didn’t ride it last season. She went straight into a stubby, then nosedived while she was trying to recover her race line with a hard toeside turn and the board snapped. Multiple front somersaults thereafter. Our training area stops halfway down the run so she rode it the rest of the way down with no nose section.

Standard inserts, snapped right at the front of the Vist plate. Interestingly, she THEN told me she had been watching a top sheet crack at the BACK of the bindings this season. 

10 hours ago, billyt. said:

Did you hit some soft snow and auger into it?

I was at my home mountain Snow Bowl in Arizona, the conditions were great .

The day before the mountain got 4inches of fresh snow with clear sunny sky later in the day it warmed up quite a bit and then set up overnight with cold temps , I chose the 185 that day prevent any augering in hard carves .

in fact after a few turns down the run conditions were so firm, I felt like I could have been on my shorter sl board.

I was pushing the board pretty hard toe side at hi speed & I felt the board start to drift out so I leaned into it a bit harder to stay on my carve then wham! it was all over.

as I sat there waiting to be extracted by ski patrol I kept looking at my line leading to the crash wondering wtf happened.

• Sad 2

• 10 months later...