Note to New Members ×

BENT or BROKEN

www.oldsnowboards.com

flc will be here monday. granted I'm a little gunshy now. two boards in one season after never have broken a thing in over 20yrs of boarding? this carving thing is getting expensive.

again, this wasn't even a serious auger, or nose stuffing cartwheel. the plate binding point loading seems a bit of an inherently weak design. thinking a under binding load distribution plate (like what was sometimes used on metal top boards) might not be a bad idea. guess I just need to be on a wider board for these conditions.

• 1 month later...

I "redesigned" a Volant SL 162, today... The previous owner already started making the nose decamber, now it's a ful rocker board! It's still rideable, though.

The way it was at the beggining of the day, the board rode just plain awsome. Stable, damp, yet poped when wanted, crazy initiation (too much almost), great edge hold. Pulled some of my best heel side ECs on it... It just sucks these boards can not last...

I'm just thinking... Maybe I should finish the braking proces of one of Scooby's spare WCRMs, just to set the record of 4 in a season :eplus2:

post-1678-14184234368_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842343684_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842343687_thumb.jpg

I didn't brake too many boards, mostly bindings. But you guys with broken windsurf/surf boards, made me tally-up the racing dinghy stuff that I've broken. I'm bad...

While we're on the subject of alternate breakage, here are some of the bike frames I've broken:

IMG_5126.jpg?t=1303264707

IMG_4100.jpg?t=1303264707

^nice. i've amassed a few killed frames over the years. for a while (back in the big hucking days) it wasn't a matter of IF a frame cracked, but when. fortunately trails & riding styles have evolved significantly (transitions rather than flat landings! who woulda thunk?!), and i've mellowed out in my advanced years, so my current bikes have remained intact for a few seasons now...

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
I don't think he was asking what you call what he did, but if in fact "submerining" was a word??? Works for me, though Webster may say otherwise ;')

According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, "submarine" can also be used as a verb. So the answer to the original question is "yes."

• 1 month later...

I was messing around in the park on my Donek 175 Twombley and when I came down from a jump and bent the tail of my board so much as to pop out of my rear binding. I keep my plates tight and have never come undone before, so I didn't even know it until I turned(or tried to...), and nearly got run over by a monstrous skier!!! Whew, glad he had skills and swooped around my silly ass :)

I used to ride Sims plates on my old Damian Dagger @ Big White. Seemed like every time I'd launch with it,I'd land and carve the next two turns one-footed.+1 for Step-ins!!!Never have I had one open up,and I air all my boards when possible.Nothing better than grabbing a slow Method-air on a 180+ alpine board in the park.

I take that back, I know why, the bail blocks move when I case landings.. I have since gotten a big ass handle on my hex wrench, but haven't cased any booters since getting the extra leverage. Stepins wouldn't really fix that problem for me.

At least in the case of intec/fintec actually they would. If you visually ensure the pins are engaged, the binding is basically fail-safe. The only way out is to pull the cable, or physically depress the pins. That is to say short of your toe or heel block moving the centimetre to allow the toe bail to clear the toe ledge of your boot, your toe can't come out of the binding. And even in the unlikely event of that failure your heel is still held captive by the pins.

In the case of Fintecs specifically the shell of the heel, or the steel heel receiver would have to physically break to allow the pins to break free, or you'd have to rip all four screws of the heel retaining screws out of the t-nuts in your boot. If any of these occurred I think the violence of the wipe out would ensure that you had other more serious injuries to worry about.

In fact the fintec/intec heel mechanism is fail safe in that the pins in the heel are spring-loaded such that additional pressure has to be put on them to make them retract. Therefore a failure of the internal heel mechanism leaves you locked into the binding, requiring the use of ski poles to depress the pins and get out (happened to me once). I suspect an internal spring could break and this could cause a release, but I have yet to hear of this failure mode occuring. Anyways the springs aren't cycled excessively so metal fatigue isn't likely to occur on this sub-component.

I bolded if above because it is quite possible with TD3s and Fintecs (or other step-ins) to have snow build up under the heel of your boot, or on the toe block of the binding, which prevents the pins from fully engaging, this can result in "premature ejectulation" as you load the binding up in a turn. As this has happened to me twice now I visually make sure the pins are engaged every time I step-in. I really wish Fin would anodize the Fintec heel pins in red or some other colour so they easily stood out from the heel receiver once engaged.

Since I've started visually checking the pins after stepping in I have yet to have a binding release.

Cheers,

Dave

Point taken.

Well, to preserve the future of the sport (me) I guess you should pass on those Fintecs and stepin receivers.. It would be a shame for me to destroy my knee at 18..

Hey if Fin ever gets the SI Sidewinders out you can have first dibs on a pair of TD3 SI cheap. :biggthump

This is getting way OT but speaking of the Sidewinders, I wonder if the fact that the toe and heel blocks roll laterally with the boot actually might help prevent the type of releases you guys are mentioning. Because of this lateral roll the toe ledge of your boot would put even pressure across the toe lever as the boot canted over. This action actually might help prevent releases.

Considering a standard binding, with 5mm or 6mm bails as the boot cants/twists in the binding, you load one corner of the toe lever perhaps making a release more likely?

Would be interesting to see somebody more mechanically inclined than me chime in on this.

Sweet thanks, I will check them out. I do like a flexible binding between a stiff board and boot, but that inherently brings risk of breakage, with my carbon-fiber ones as back ups and more of a show piece as I know they are bound to explode one cold day. Thanks for the tip. Aluminum flexs, right? ;)

I used to ride Sims plates on my old Damian Dagger @ Big White. Seemed like every time I'd launch with it,I'd land and carve the next two turns one-footed.+1 for Step-ins!!!Never have I had one open up,and I air all my boards when possible.Nothing better than grabbing a slow Method-air on a 180+ alpine board in the park.

That is a cool big board!! With those monster plastic Sims plates? Cool. Photos? Did you end up breaking it?