BENT or BROKEN

www.oldsnowboards.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Too many flat landings.

1st pic taken 2001.

2nd pic taken 2006.

I didn't brake too many boards, mostly bindings. But you guys with broken windsurf/surf boards, made me tally-up the racing dinghy stuff that I've broken. I'm bad...

Sank boat (not recovered) x 1

Mast x 3

Fwd deck x 2

Mast step x 2

Tiller x 2

Tiller extension x 3-5

Sail, major ripp (repairable) x 2

Punctured boats (compettitors') x 2

Misc. smaller damage x countless

No pics to share, though...

What did you sink?

I don't have any cool boat stories, the most dramatic was in a Catalina 22 race. One guy forgot about the right of way (or maybe honestly didn't see me, the boat had way too much activity for the ~10 knot winds!) and tangled his pulput in mine. That was weird!

A Finn... 1992 (or was it 1993?) South African National Championships, Saldanha Bay. 50+ knots storm hit us mid-race. About 80% of all fleets capsized (Optimists, Lasers, Finns, Mirrors, Fireballs, FDs, you name it, at least 200 boats...).

I didn't run for the shore, finished the upwind leg, then sailed the downwind leg until I could hold-on in the survival mode, sitting all the way at the transom. Then hit a wave at an awkward angle, burried the nose and pitch-polled. The impact must have separated the forward deck from the hull, as I couldn't straighten the boat (Finn has a point of no return once the water is in the bow). All I could do is sit on the turtle boat and watch it sink slowly. Finally, it turned the bow right down, Titanic style, but still stayed afloat with a foot of the transom above. I sat on that waiting for my turn to be rescued. The rubber dinghy finally came and they shouted "Jump in!". I asked "What about my boat?". Reply was "Are you staying with your boat, or coming with us?". Guess what I choose... I was the last skipper rescued, my familly already had written me off...

Final aftermath was no loss of life, plenty of cuts, bruises and hypothermia, 20-30 boats washed ashore, many totalled and one lost (mine).

One wasn't during the race, but rather duing the season end "go crazy" closing ceremony. The dammage was right at the sheer and not too big.

The other one was during the race and quite big, yet above the water line.

This leaves me with one serious collision in well over 1000 (one thousand, estimated on conservative side) races sailed... However, I am pretty "wild" when I race.

This leaves me with one serious collision in well over 1000 (one thousand, estimated on conservative side) races sailed... However, I am pretty "wild" when I race.

You do not want sail too close to someone who survive 6 months grueling trip from Johannesburg - Vancouver and rolls (twice?) at nite...:eek:

Cheers

RT:cool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

broke my wcrm a couple weeks ago. crappily enough, it wasn't the result of a crash or stuffed nose - it just failed in a regular turn. i'm assuming there was previous accumulated fatigue of some sort, but i'm at a loss as to how / why / when, as it was a low mileage deck, w/ no 'traumatic' incidents. unfortunately out of warranty, though prior did offer a crash replacement discount on a new deck.

still, i'm a bit put off. i've never broken a board in my two decades snowboarding, and my previous long term glass boards have seen much greater abuse, with no issues. are modern metal boards just that much more fragile? i assumed the teething issues of a couple years ago were over. back on my vintage option, alas. i did love the prior...

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

that WAS a spanking new base, what a bummer friend, as I recall those priors are big $$$ and take a while to get a hold of? I wonder if the greater torsional forces(wider board twists more than narrower of equal flex?) that are "absorbed" by the dampening systems and thus creating a crumple zone, like in modern autos? Hopefully if that is the case it wasn't intentionally created like those in my Jeep, cause that would be just mean!:eek:

Auch, sorry about the board bud. Hope u r ok. Were u at Cypress when it happend?

I play same board last week and today on crappy snow, so far so good under my 205lbs w/o gears (cross fingers). This WCRM 177 and the wide 173 is my fav decks, I always start with 177 and when turn to slush/chop I switch to 173 wide.

RT

post-6136-141842327646_thumb.jpg

Do you ride with a 0* front cant? It looks almost that the front of the plate point loaded the board!?

If that's of any comfort to you, I broke my Kessler 185, today... Looks almost the same as yours, just less bend to it. Pics later.

3* rise on the front.

re: the kessler - ouch! that's some pricey wall art. damn. curious if alpine boards could be built in a manner to reduce these types of failures (since this seems to be the common 'fuse') w/o negatively affecting flex characteristics too much. hmm...

Auch, sorry about the board bud. Hope u r ok. Were u at Cypress when it happend?

I play same board last week and today on crappy snow, so far so good under my 205lbs w/o gears (cross fingers). This WCRM 177 and the wide 173 is my fav decks, I always start with 177 and when turn to slush/chop I switch to 173 wide.

RT

yeah cypress. not a crazy crash at all; the nose just 'disappeared' during a standard frontside carve on groom & i went down. it was a wtf moment for sure.

you know, if/when i get a new one i was thinking about a 173w flc - a bit more versatile, small hill friendly ride, methinks. my old freecarve thing is 21cm wide, and it feels like the sweet spot for my purposes.

We talk about this before...when we have a problem with damage...

but I think the problem is the solid, binding construct, or user error...because the boards do not seem suited to the focus of severe instantaneous flatspot caused by the rigid binding...

there is always the cry for manufacture defect...because the recommended stance and setback etc is always the cry...but few carbonfiber/titan construct were designed to accommodate these CNC bindings, some day manufacturers will caveat the warranty with this clause.

I think manufacturer designs his and her board for plastic bindung, not NASA grade metals or alloy...but I could ask a manufacturer if his construct will stand leverage created by bomber or catek or CNC heavyduty binding? Of course, I could always be wrong.

It seems to me that the company should not allow frivolity for claims...everyone must take responsibility for the choices they will make. It is a dangerous sport, yea? 110