Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

Well, you gotta have a first day back (not a direct quote but apt)

Not a lot braved the freezing rain of Denver to hoof it up to the slope. Those that did (Big M, Ice, and I) enjoyed one or two pretty good runs before the racer kids took over and made the possibility of collisions way too likely. 

Damn that lift, it's too fast! 4 runs and done by 9:30. Bar isn't even open!

That being said, the snow was really fast and fun, I'm happy with how I rode and I get to do it all over again next week. 

The weather was super weird. the aforementioned freezing rain in Denver, a moment of clarity around Idaho Spgs, fog around Georgetown and above the clouds at the top of the lift. Cold but makes for a pretty picture!

IMG_7016.JPG.05c01f04d3180ac04f3f1e25f8456b09.JPG

• Like 1

"ya gotta have a start to start"

At least that's what I think I said, and it seemed rather profound in a Yogi Berraesqe way at the time.  But I both amuse and amaze myself daily with some of the stuff that pops out of my mouth.  

1920 is underway, and day one is in the books. I think I might have outsmarted myself by leaving the black and green boots at home today, I think I'll do some adjustments on the white ones for next time, see how they feel, and bring the others for backup.  Not at all unhappy with how I rode today, despite feeling like a total spaz on the first few runs..3/4 felt really good, it was unfortunate that it got so crazy by 9:30 , making run 5 a skid fest after a few nice turns at the top.  We'll see what happens snow wise this week, and hope for a bunch more terrain next week.  Always the early season lament, but I did make some turns.  Missed you out there today dude.

Mario

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So for the second week in a row, Ice and I have been the only 2 flyin the flag whilst the rest of you laggards are off laggerding, or whatever laggards do...

Good snow, though as always at this time of year, more would be so much mores. joining the lack of new snow and terrain, the early season invasion of ski academies and race teams has not been as annoying as usual. which is a bonus.  

we keep adding a run every week, we hit 10 today before my legs said enough,  luckily we where able to secure a table in the not quite so busy Rat, toasting both to our safety, and awesomeness.  For once, my first post exercise induced Tourette's  utterance didn't take place until I was at the bottom pf the second set of stairs to the parking lot, so I got that going for me.

Hopefully we shall start seeing more of you in the coming weeks, though it appears that our Asian delegation has forsaken us for the basin this season.

Mario

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Debating whether or not i should start my weekend trips. It looks like not much terrain is open, yet. But, i'm itching to get back on the snow. I might head up there this or next weekend but A-basin since i have yet to carve there and i have my ikon pass now. I hope everyone is doing well. Looking forward to seeing all of you again this season. 

On 11/13/2019 at 10:06 AM, Colozeus said:

Debating whether or not i should start my weekend trips. It looks like not much terrain is open, yet. But, i'm itching to get back on the snow. I might head up there this or next weekend but A-basin since i have yet to carve there and i have my ikon pass now. I hope everyone is doing well. Looking forward to seeing all of you again this season. 

Honestly I'd wait for another storm cycle.  It's been freeze/thawing pretty bad.  I went out twice and decided to hang it up for a few more weeks until Beaver Creek opens. If you've got an itch you just gotta scratch then there is still definitely fun to be had.

Moses parting the Red Sea

Not that I'm Moses, or Charlton Heston for that matter, but it certainly seemed like it as I had 9 clean runs today.  9. That is insane this early in the season, with the still very limited terrain we are dealing with.Every run was wide open both behind, and ahead. The only person I saw on my six at any point today was Ice.  It was rather refreshing. Actually, it was 8, but there where very few people on spillway as I got bucked around on the funky, solid groom, and the same deal as I side slipped the unrideable lower Richards.( Even Mr Positively Awesome went down.  That's something you don't see every day ).

Finally feeling the luv at the luv on day 4.  Shit is just happeninig right, and feeling good. It certainly helps that I am riding  the " Easy Rider", the skinny monster, which is decidedly not one of the many meaner boards in the quiver. I'll wait for some more terrain to open before I start bringing any of those nasty's out.  

On hand for todays festivities were the aforementioned MR. Positively Awesome( Ice, aka Ice man, aka Eisman, aka Kevin) XRH, Slopestar, and your faithful scribe, moi.

One sunday left before the annual racer exodus, lets hope for some real snow between and next weekend.  We could definitely use it.

Mario

• Like 4

Good Day

Ink, Ice, and myself made up  the carving contingent today, while James and Haily got their legs under them for the first time this season.

Good solid day today, lots of great comments from various  peeps on the hill, as well cheers and laughter as Ice tailgunned me at a high rate of speed.  It was great to be back on the hill with coach Ink, sorry for all of those early nonstop hot laps on you first day on the hill, but we had to take those openings as we had em'.  Cant wait for the slower fixed grip to start spinning, getting way too much vertical early in the day with this newfangled high speed quad.  Ouchit's aplenty. My post exercise induced Tourettes didn't kick in until I dropped ink off at the Park n Ride.  Mucho fun day, looking forward to  Thursday morning!

Mario

• Like 5

Ruts!

Do you find that as you get older your ruts get deeper (figuratively if not literally)? 

I came to this based on how I now ride Loveland almost exclusively. My main arguments was that it is 1) cheap, 2) closest to Denver (least amount of I-70), 3) crowd avoidance, 4) I like the "vibe".  

However, since I now only go mid-week, the crowd-avoidance is less of a concern. I've thought about maybe trying someplace else. 

I'm not really a fan of A-Basin or Breckenridge. I haven't been to Keystone in decades. Copper Mountain isn't very compelling. Vail is too far for a day. I like Winter Park but it may not be the best for carving. 

Have any other Lovelanders considered other areas? If so, what are your perceptions of the advantages & disadvantages of Loveland? 

10 hours ago, JohnE said:

I like Winter Park but it may not be the best for carving

Winter Park is great for mid week carving. The infamous TVR showed me where to go many years ago. I Have a Ikon Pass and can get you a discounted ticket if you want to try it. Can get 20k vertical in 3 hours.

• Like 2

So wow. My first hardboot day of the season and it was awesome!

Warmer up on the mountain than it was in the city. Crazy but that’s Colorado.

Mario, Ice, and I were the only HB representatives but there sure were a ton of other people! Where did they come from?!? The parking lot was only half full but the slope was really crowded. 

For me the day ended after I took a hard left after the park and was promptly hit from behind by a snowboarder. Caused me to faceplant and knocked the wind out of me. It wasn’t that bad but sure scared the crap out of me. Sucky way to end the day but I had a ton of fun! 

Happy Turkey Day!

See all of you Sunday. (see how I’m avoiding the language police:))

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that Jordan, hope fully nothing else is lurking from that accident, good to see you back on the hill!

Community.

When Snowboarder Pete and I started this silliness way back in the aught 4/5 season, we were but the only fruitbooters on the hill.  Back then , the entire wedge bar area was dominated by the tele contingent. They accepted our outcast selves with open arms. Over The passage of time, their numbers dwindled, and ours increased.  In the intervening 15 plus seasons, only one face has remained constant, Carrie. Through the loss of her spouse, the rest of her kind,  having to navigate my trenches, and  the arrival of oddjob, she was always there with us at the opening of the season.. 4 weeks in this year, no Carrie.  Until today. All is now right with the world, she has returned, still complaining about " poping wheelies" crossing  my trenches, as it should be.

Jordan, Ice,  and I out today for a short one.   good stuff continues, 6 1/2 clean runs before getting closed out by the encroaching holiday hordes.  Rumor has it that reload and the practice field should open tomorrow.  Yay for some long overdue additional real estate!

Carvin Marvin, Jordan, Ice, myself,  possibly Ink for Sunday, Whom else is rarin' to partake?

Mario

• Like 2