Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

1 hour ago, Corey said:

Nice, thanks for the local knowledge. I'd have been the idiot parked in the I70 lot, wondering when I'd get there. 

See you around 7:30! 

FYI - Loveland Basin NOT Loveland Valley  - same resort, different areas - when you exit and pass under I-70, veer right.

Mañana

Great day yesterday. Gregory & I got up there and met Johan and my co-worker Justin. Had some good soft groom & some great powder. Beautiful bluebird day and no crowds. Only took 45 minutes each way from the Dino lots to Loveland. Great powder on In The Mood & up on Lift #9. Johan headed back to Dallas around 10AM. 

Corey - should be even better groom today. Have fun!

Corey- I hope you got to Lovey- I saw just now that Cdot started avalanche mitigation a little bit before Loveland at around 830 this morning. Have fun if you are there. It should not be crowded especially with the Interstate closed. Cheers.

LCI - Thanks for a Windy and snowy welcome back home.

35"s in 72 hours, the best in bound powder riding I have ever experienced !!!! It was unbelievable, still finding somewhat untracked pow at 1:30 in the afternoon. I'm glad that I got to use at least use 1 of my 4 boards that I brought to the 303 ! Charmed my gear passed, Kelly at DIA Jet blue check in, avoiding the 300lb baggage fine that Alfred from Jet Blue Boston zapped me with. In fairness to me and my charm capabilities, I don't think my flirtatious ways were going to do me much good with a Bostonian at 5:00am.  Once I saw Kelly yesterday I was salivating, I hammed it up big time, and she only charged me the standard rate for one back, and let me carry on two pretty big packs. One bag was a 72Litre duffel, with a pair of Mountain slopes and a pair of Track 700's.   The other bag was a 35Litre back pack with just about everything soft I could jam into it. 

Already spoke with the Team, we will be making a trip next year to Summit, probably going to stay on the hill to avoid the I-70 parking lot piss Olympics though. 

Big's, Ice, Ink always great riding with you guys. LCI newbies, nice to meet you enjoy that place its a gem, maybe next time we can rip some turns on the groom. 

Dr. Bola, thanks for using extra Astroglide on your rubber glove and for the wonderful tour of every peak and every chairlift at Beaver Creek. Didn't see one bar stool though ?!?!?!!?  Its not everyday, you get to sit on a sidewalk while getting treated like a peasant and stare at the Ritz on a ski slope eating a $18.95 cup of chili.  

• Like 1

Sounds like the driving was really bad this weekend. A neighbor left very early Sunday for Eldora. Took him 1/2 hour to get through Nederland. When he got to Eldora, they turned him away because the lot was full. 

A co-worker has a place in Frisco. He left Frisco at 8PM on Sunday night. Took him 4 hours to get to the tunnel and another 2 hours to get home in Denver (2AM)!

I-70 between Frisco & Copper got closed Sunday AM by an avalanche and closed again Sunday PM by another avalanche. 

Too many people!

1 hour ago, JohnE said:

Sounds like the driving was really bad this weekend. A neighbor left very early Sunday for Eldora. Took him 1/2 hour to get through Nederland. When he got to Eldora, they turned him away because the lot was full. 

A co-worker has a place in Frisco. He left Frisco at 8PM on Sunday night. Took him 4 hours to get to the tunnel and another 2 hours to get home in Denver (2AM)!

I-70 between Frisco & Copper got closed Sunday AM by an avalanche and closed again Sunday PM by another avalanche. 

Too many people!

I left NW Denver at 5:15 Sunday morning, and traffic was already a shit show. Got stopped 1/2mile before Herman's gulch  for avalanche mitigation, finally pulling in the lot at 7:10.  My ride home was even longer.  I cannot control how many people are moving here, the weather, cdot, or caic.. What I can control is when I leave for and from the mountain, and ultimately my reaction to it. Had I shut the alarm off, rolled back under the covers, and  said " phuckit, taffic and weather are going to suck, I'm sleeping in" , I would have missed one of the best powder days I have had at  The Luv in way too many years.  My 4hrs of windshield time sunday was annoying to say the least, but in the end, well worth it

ymmv,

mario

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Dusty Bottle said:

I'm coming from south of Denver and 7:00am traffic mixed with C470 construction sucks, plus I70 doesn't take much to shut down.  I'd rather be sitting in the lodge, dreaming of groom, eating eggs, potatoes, biscuits and gravy.

Well, he called it. While we were sitting comfortable in the lodge, an avalanche (or two?) closed I70 in both directions. We were trapped, but with about 150-200 people, good groom, sunshine, and no wind. Epic day! Pictures and video to follow. 

Thanks to Dusty Bottle for being a great host. My favorite run of the day was lapping Spillway and Richards. Did 5 of those to end the day - that chair feels pretty fast when it's your only break! 

• Like 2

So, what do you do when you get your arse out of bed, show up before 7am, at 8am learn I-70 is closed in both directions (for the day) due to avalanches, temps are mid-30s, skies are blue and the wind is non-existent?  You and 200 lucky Lovey guests get to share a full resort, ride until you get leg cramps, eat lunch and then ride until you get jello legs and then ride some more!  Wide. Open. Runs.  2nd day groom, after 2' of fresh in the last 72 hours left some soft places, but who can complain when you're still carving corduroy at 2pm?  In the end, we sat in the parking lot for an hour, waiting for I-70 to re-open.  It was SO worth it!!!

Happy to meet, represent and be tour guide for Corey our neighbor and carving aficionado from the north.  We left impressive damage on Fire Bowl, Fire Cut, Drifter, Turtle Creek, Roulette, E Tow, Spillway and Richards, took the short bus and even though I was thoroughly whipped, Corey proceeded to decimate Switchback!  And although he got close and personal with a tree and I somehow managed to imitate Mario in making myself a human yard dart on Richards, we were having way too much fun to really care!

Corey,  Hope you can make a return visit soon!  Get that Colorado work account set up quickly, Sir!

Still enjoying sunburned teeth! 😎

James

Edited by Dusty Bottle
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Corey said:

Well, he called it. While we were sitting comfortable in the lodge, an avalanche (or two?) closed I70 in both directions. We were trapped, but with about 150-200 people, good groom, sunshine, and no wind. Epic day! Pictures and video to follow. 

Thanks to Dusty Bottle for being a great host. My favorite run of the day was lapping Spillway and Richards. Did 5 of those to end the day - that chair feels pretty fast when it's your only break! 

Damn, I am mad at myself for missing it but I am glad you had fun @Corey!! Definitely give us a shout when you are in Colorado! 

I figured Corey (& James) probably got there early enough to beat the avalanche. However, they were reporting the highway was still closed at 5PM. If I had to wait that long after riding to get back on the road , I'd probably be pretty drunk. 

I'll be the groom was great. It was very good on Monday (but a bit soft). 

Glad you had a great time. 

I'll be back in town weekend after next. Friday night to Monday night. I plan on riding all three days.

I must say, after riding pow for three days this past weekend, i feel like i'm just now starting to recover. 

i should have stayed an extra day to enjoy Tuesday with you guys. Oh well. 

Mixed bag.

Seeing that I was going to be denied access to both of the jobs I was scheduled for this week today, and the forecast being what it was, I , as witnessed by my previous posts, played hooky today. With a stupid early start( mostly due to the fact that I checked the snowstake after a 3 am pee and couldn't get back to sleep like a 10 yearold at Christmas) to avoid potential avalanche closures, the drive up was  a piece of cake.  Round about 8:00am, the lodge lights flickered and went out.  Great, looks like a repeat of Friday.  The lifts where fired up on diesel, and all was right with the world. Sort of.  Power did eventually come back on, but ski patrol got behind on all of their safety shit.  At 9, Chet's and 2 where open.  Now on a normal day, this wouldn't be a problem, but with A-bay, copper, Vail , and winter park shut down or inaccessible, a phuckload of front rangers landed at lovey. within 10 minutes, every thing was tracked out off of those 2 lifts.  By 10, 4 was running, almost, and by 10 :15, Ptarmigan was up,  I have never seen firecut decimated so quickly.  Shit, even my lawn was tracked out before noon. Damn first world problems. Shelly and I still had a shitload of fun in the north chutes, my lawn, roulette trees ect.

Speaking of Shelly, she confessed to several bouts of tomahawking on Saturday, and I witnessed at least 1 myself today.. . I think it is time to pass my title of holy diver onto someone whom is much more deserving...

Blew away a softbooter today as I dropped a 17ft winrow before his very eyes in the drifter/turtle trees, landing in front of him and sticking it. He had never seen the staypuft marshmellow man rip pow on hardboots before. He thought it was awesomeness.

mario

So many avalanches recently in Colorado that various ski areas have been closed or inaccessible. I don't ever recall so many avalanches. Even if the snow is great at the areas, you may not be able to get there or get home. 

Ennui

Not to the point that I'm going to start sporting a black beret, turtleneck, smoking gauloise, speaking with a bad French accent while spouting bad beat poetry.....

Still making the adjustment from the crazy empty slopes of Turner to the ridiculousness of our front range resorts. alas, people have stopped looking down their noses at lovey, and our now turning into the parking lot.  I'll take some grey poupon to go with that cheese to go with that whine now, thank you very much.

Yes, march madness is now upon us, as witnessed by the plethora of texas/Kansas/okie/license plates and accompanying camo and starter jackets, adding to my malaise.  Proving that I am slowly maturing, I spent an annoying 5 minutes explaining my setup to a trio of bad toothed Texan's in polaris gear while waiting for the short bus back to the basin. Thanks for your interjections during that conversation odd job, it made life a little more bearable. 

Also out on the hill today where Mr. Positive,  proving that adage that no good deed goes unpunished after falling over and whacking a rib while helping a downed skier get back into his gear, The Dude, whose day was cut short by whatever disease he picked up from hanging with those monoski freaks last weekend in steamboat, and finally, Yasu, making several guest appearance's between riding with his out of town guests. Glad your ankle is healed up enough to let you get back on the hill. Hope you got nap in Odd Job, and I will see you bone heads next sunday, hopefully with a slightly more positive attitude

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Bummer. I got Crystal Mtn WA with a good friend on the two best groomer days of the season. It was amazing. No people and Aspen caliber grooming. Then decided before heading to Hawaii, to play hooky and sneak up to Eldora this past Thursday. Eldora is a novelty... everyone there is in the middle. Not good, not looking anywhere other than straight in front, straight lining skier or snowboard gaper. I like good riders and bad ones are fairly predictable but that place is just a perpetual idiot convention. Have not bought next seasons pass... might have to mix it up a bit... glad everyone survived. Kids are coming in April but we will ride lovey mid week... hope you are well. Miss you guys... from my room on the beach in Kona Town....

• Like 1